FX-8350 and AsRock 970 Pro3 R2.0

Komraaz

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
First of all, my english is very bad and i do not know so much about computers and components so be nice for me plz. So I ordered components like GTX 960, FX-8350 and Asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0.. they works nicely together but when im playing i get sometimes huge fps drops and my whole fps is too low for these components.. (like in CSGO I have 200fps maximum with low graphics..) but anyways the drops are bigger problem, my fps is dropping from 200 to 30 for few seconds and I have tried everything but still dropping.. I heard that my motherboard-CPU couple is not the best one for some reason.. second thing what i was thinking is my Corsair 450W power supply too small? Should i buy bigger one, like 550W? throw some ideas for me what I should to do to stop those drops. Should I make some cooler for vrm's and those things or should I order new motherboard or power supply..?

Solution
well I would check my cpu temps to be sure the cpu in not over heating and throttling due to that you want to look for 65c or less on that chip

you can look up how tio use AMD overdrive to check its thermal margin psu ??? to me that's small and you got to look hard at small units to see if there true

like a 450w should be about 37 amps at the 12v+

like this 450w psu is not true cause it can only do 34 amps so its really a 400w psu for a example

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vs-seriestm-vs450-450-watt-power-supply

''I heard that my motherboard-CPU couple is not the best one for some reason ''

thing is with that [in my opinion] is that them board have a 4 phase vrm and that may get strained...

Komraaz

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

Which I should order then? are you sure the problem is that motherboard?

well I would check my cpu temps to be sure the cpu in not over heating and throttling due to that you want to look for 65c or less on that chip

you can look up how tio use AMD overdrive to check its thermal margin psu ??? to me that's small and you got to look hard at small units to see if there true

like a 450w should be about 37 amps at the 12v+

like this 450w psu is not true cause it can only do 34 amps so its really a 400w psu for a example

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vs-seriestm-vs450-450-watt-power-supply

''I heard that my motherboard-CPU couple is not the best one for some reason ''

thing is with that [in my opinion] is that them board have a 4 phase vrm and that may get strained with I high powered cpu ???? if your not overclocking though should be fine and asrock claims

This board is designed to build up the most powerful system and delivers the most demanding technology for users nowadays. Just enjoy next generation computing with ASRock 8-Core CPU Ready motherboard.

anyway I would check the cpu to see if its throttling that's a common thing if temps are not keep in check

''You bought one of the worst quality boards on the planet mate ''

what are you basing this on ''mate'' just your opinion ??

Solution
^ basing it on fact not my opinion ,970 pro 2/3 , extreme 2/3 throttle with 125w CPUs .
Skanky quality MOSFETs that are only good to 50c.

The above is all fairly common knowledge.

Disable turbocore in BIOS & undervolting as much as possible can gain stability but is hit & miss.
Dropping 2 cores the same , essentially its more trouble than its really worth & a better board is the only real 100% solution.

Komraaz

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

So for example which is better board?

Gigabyte 970a-ud3p
MSI 970 gaming
Asus m5a97 r2.0/evo (not the le one though)

Those are your 3 most likely budget ones.

I agree with junkeymonkey though you should do some testing to be certain with prime95 & amd overdrive.
I'm still 99.999% sure its the board though , do a Google search on asrock 970 throttling & see how many results you get.

well sounds like opinion to me

anyway for that cpu to get full potential 990fx board is ''better'' overall but you have not determined if anything of your board is the fault like I said could be thermal throttling due to poor cooling of the chip

its not like you get a 990fx board and run in to the same issue with it as well anyway

then don't forget AM3+ is now a near 7-8 year old platform for todays needs as well and AM3+ is the reason I went intel after years of nothing but AMD builds [never satisfied with AM3+ in any way ]

good luck

^ well in all fairness anything anyone says is an 'opinion' really.

Komraaz - I'm mobile at the minute, later (few hours or maybe tomorrow morning) I'll run you through testing & possible ways to stop those fps drops if at all possible with your current board if like??
No guarantees but some CPU's will take a big voltage drop & still run full clocks.