1080 Strix underperforming

Paul870

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Hi all!

First time im having to ask for help - i've bought the new 1080 Strix, upgrading from the 970 StrixOC.

Here is my current setup -

i7-4790K
1080 Strix
ROG Maximus VII Ranger Mobo
Corsair Vengeance 8gb 2133mhz
Cooler master V850
Corsair H100i
Corsair Obsidian 750D
Samsung 27" curved monitor S27D590C
Asus 24" secondary monitor
Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSD
300gb sub HD
Windows 10 Pro version 1511

As already said i have upgraded from a 970Strixoc, and i feel very underwhelmed for what I thought would be a fairly good upgrade.

The card performs fine, it runs anything on ultra so far at 1080p, all be it at 80-100fps which i know is reasonable enough.
My 970 would run games on similar settings at said fps. I was hoping the 1080 would beast anything i am currently playing and then some looking at the specs and benchmarks i've seen out there.

Few games to go by all running maximum settings;

GTA5 60-75fps
Witcher 3 70fps
Overwatch 90-100fps

Should this be what I am expecting? All of the benchmarks i have seen are running these at 4k with similar results.

So far to try and improve things i have:
full fresh install of windows 10
Installed GPUTweak2 and run on OC mode
Power settings are all on high performance
Bios updated
Chipset updated
Checked nvidia control panel for vsync

I thought best to ask on here - am I being unreasonable with what I am expecting, or should it be performing more as i am thinking? If so, where do i go to try and find this performance?!

Any help or advice would be appreciated with this as i am not overly satisfied currently.

Solution
I think the main problem is the resolution bottlenecking the full usage of the card. I can't confirm it -but be sure its like i'm saying- due i didn't watched any benchmark done @ 1080p with the GTX 1080. Its a little crazy that GPU for that resolution.

So, i think you don't need to spect more performance at that resolution.

Paul870

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

I'm intending to go to 4k - next purchase was supposed to be a better monitor, however looking at what im getting at 1080p, im not sure i'd be capable?! Am I right to think this, or?

I think the main problem is the resolution bottlenecking the full usage of the card. I can't confirm it -but be sure its like i'm saying- due i didn't watched any benchmark done @ 1080p with the GTX 1080. Its a little crazy that GPU for that resolution.

So, i think you don't need to spect more performance at that resolution.

Solution

Paul870

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

Yes... but resolution should not bottleneck surely - it would just have an insane FPS as i expected.. but i am not seeing? I cant imagine putting more load in to the GPU increasing performance? Surely the FPS will just decrease.

As said, the plan is to go to 4k. but if the GPU isnt performing as well on 1080, then how isit supposed to do it when its asked to make a resolution 4 times as much?

Paul870

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

I've had it suggested to try super sample and recheck performance. I sampled up to 4k, and im getting 90+fps. I'm not sure why i thought it should just have an ungodly fps count in 1080, but it seems to work well at 4k sampled up.

Next stop a new monitor i suppose?!

Paul870

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

Ah just saw them, they do seem right then! I suppose you wont get many trying at that resolution as said by Lucas! Honestly baffled though at how ti works. Suppose you learn something new everyday!

Just need to find a monitor at a reasonable price now!

I really want to explain more what is going on in this case, but my english is very limited, sorry lol.

Paul870

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

If you write it in your own language ill try to translate? Any information is good for me!

Having a GPU capable of high FPS causes you to have a CPU bottleneck. Most games today do not handle super high FPS due to a draw call bottleneck, which is caused by the CPU. And before you tell me, "but I have a i7 4790K", just know that all CPU's have a limit to how many FPS they are capable of, and it largely depends on the game itself, and how much it pushes the CPU.

To check if you are having a bottleneck issue, use MSI Afterburner, and monitor your GPU usage. Assuming you don't have v-sync on, having less than 99% GPU usage shows that you have a bottleneck, most likely the CPU (FPS limiters and various syncs also bottleneck, but that is to be expected).

Paul870

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Just like to say thank you all for the help.

Really has been racking my brain over the last few days. I'm now a happy chappy, and shopping around for a monitor to give me some more eye candys!

Of course you don't have to buy a new monitor. There isn't anything really wrong with unused GPU power. You also have the option to use DSR, which essentially renders at a higher resolution and down samples, or higher forms of AA. Of course if you desire a better monitor, you certainly can take advantage of it.

Paul870

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Went out and picked this up over the weekend:

Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" G-SYNC 144Hz 1ms

Superb piece of kit. Now running it at full resolution with great fps - quality is mind blowing.

Mny thanks all for the help! Superb forum.