Will my 500 W PSU support a Palit GTX 570?

DryDoctorEgg

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
I'm looking to upgrade my GTX 650 TI BOOST to a used Palit GTX 570. From what information Palit provides it is recommended to have a 550W PSU but will my 500W PSU supply enough current along the 12V rail to have the card run fine? I'm currently running an i5 650 and 6GB of DDR3 with a HDD and an SSD.

Heres the specs of my PSU, Thanks for any help, much appreciated!
SP%20004.JPG

Solution
Corsair VS series? Cringe. I suppose that's better than the LiteOn unit the computer came with, but that's not saying much - the VS series is the cheapest of Corsair's lineup, designed for office PCs, not gaming rigs. I suggest this psu instead: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/98tCmG/xfx-power-supply-p1650snlb9
As far as it fitting, I couldn't find specs on max psu length, but looking at some review images of the inside, it should be able to fit psus somewhat longer than the default.

As far as bottlenecking, you're thinking about it wrong. Certain games could be bottlenecked by cpu or gpu, but a cpu does not bottleneck a gpu or vice versa. In many cases, the monitor's frame rate is the real bottleneck. However, with that cpu...
Agreed. That thing has no business calling itself either a 500W psu (since that's peak, 450W is apparently the limit for sustained total power) or an 80plus bronze psu (since it can only deliver 360W of the claimed 500W on the +12V rails). With that 35 C limit, I'm not even sure it meets the standards of an atx psu.

DryDoctorEgg

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

Ok thanks, it came with the Acer Predator G5900 series pre-built. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PGUSEBG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ll.Mxb52P1M83 Would this PSU fit the chasis of the computer and do you think it'd be worth the upgrade for the sake of the GTX 570? Will the i5 650 bottleneck the GTX 570 considerably?

Thanks!!

Corsair VS series? Cringe. I suppose that's better than the LiteOn unit the computer came with, but that's not saying much - the VS series is the cheapest of Corsair's lineup, designed for office PCs, not gaming rigs. I suggest this psu instead: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/98tCmG/xfx-power-supply-p1650snlb9
As far as it fitting, I couldn't find specs on max psu length, but looking at some review images of the inside, it should be able to fit psus somewhat longer than the default.

As far as bottlenecking, you're thinking about it wrong. Certain games could be bottlenecked by cpu or gpu, but a cpu does not bottleneck a gpu or vice versa. In many cases, the monitor's frame rate is the real bottleneck. However, with that cpu and gpu combination, I wouldn't expect the cpu to be the bottleneck.

Solution

DryDoctorEgg

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

Ok, thanks alot for your help. I might be able to buy a full new PC from a friend but if not I will likely opt for this PSU. My choice was the result of the top amazon result. As for the bottlenecking, I understand this but wanted to get a guage for if the components were severely out of proportion in terms of 'power', which you have given! Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS