1060 gtx bottleneck

iNonEntity

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Would my x4 860k bottleneck a 1060? I remember hearing something about memory bandwidth or something of the sort in older CPUs not being enough for newgen GPUs. If not, do you think an i5 3550 would suffice?

Also, how is bottlenecking determined? Is it just trial and error, or are there actual specs to compare???

Solution
It's trial and error. You have to factor in the CPU, the GPU, and the display. For instance, if you get 55FPS in a game at 1080P and also at 1440P, we would say that the CPU is a bottleneck at 1080P because the graphics card should be to render more frames at the lower resolution, but it can't because it's waiting for the CPU.
Bottlenecking is when one component is hindering another components performance. Now there is "appropriate" bottlenecking, like the GPU bottlenecking the CPU... But "bad" bottlenecking is when the GPU is being held back by the CPU. (I hope you understand what I'm saying.)

The X4 860K will bottleneck without a doubt, if possible I'd suggest upgrading to a Skylake based system not Ivy Bridge. Unless you have a Z77 or H77 motherboard laying around.

iNonEntity

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Well, I know what bottlenecking is lol I just meant how is it decided if it will or not. Like does their clock rate or memory bandwidth have to match, or their architecture or something? Or do you just figure, this crap is too old, it can't handle this new stuff
Thanks though, I'll save a bit longer then

scuzzycard

Honorable
It's trial and error. You have to factor in the CPU, the GPU, and the display. For instance, if you get 55FPS in a game at 1080P and also at 1440P, we would say that the CPU is a bottleneck at 1080P because the graphics card should be to render more frames at the lower resolution, but it can't because it's waiting for the CPU.

Solution

iNonEntity

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

Ahhh I see, thank you. That kinda sucks lol