R9 290 and computer extremely loud

mopymatt

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
I bought my r9 290 a long time ago and i have reached my boiling point with it. It sounds like a jet engine even when i play games like csgo. My friends can all hear it when we talk on skype and even having headphones on doesn't drown out the noise. I am pissed off because I dropped a ton of money on this card and i can barely hear when I play games. If anybody could tell me a solution on how to get this thing to shut the hell up, it would be appreciated. Or, if anybody could give me some possible alternatives for a quieter card that gets the job done that would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance!

Solution
r9 290 is a very hot card, although mine doesnt sound like that. I found out it was actually my CPU fan that was making all the noise, and not my graphics card. Graphics card can be loud, but not as loud as the CPU was. You can download MSI afterburner and make sure the fan doesnt exceed 50% until it gets hot. I think the max operating temperature for the r9 290 is 105C, so you probably want it to start ramping up pretty fast at around 85C.

moveit124

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
r9 290 is a very hot card, although mine doesnt sound like that. I found out it was actually my CPU fan that was making all the noise, and not my graphics card. Graphics card can be loud, but not as loud as the CPU was. You can download MSI afterburner and make sure the fan doesnt exceed 50% until it gets hot. I think the max operating temperature for the r9 290 is 105C, so you probably want it to start ramping up pretty fast at around 85C.

Solution

moveit124

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015

I have two different R9 290's they both run extremely hot, one runs at 55-60C idle and the other runs at 70-75C idle.