fx 8350 - Evo 212 Throttling/HighTemps

Stanley Wineter

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
While playing games i often have large fps drops and using software like HWMonitor it reaches temps in the 80's. While idle it reaches temp in 50's. I feel like this is too high. I have the build below. Is it the cpu? the Cooler? something else? or am i just overreacting to the problem at hand?. Any Help appreciated.

Fx - 8350
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
990xa - ud3
gtx 760
2 * 8GB Corsair XMS DDR3 - 1600
Toshiba 2TB Hard Drive
Corsair Builder 600W
Windows 10

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Have you tried removing the cooler and re-applying thermal paste and putting it back?
Cooler is good for the FX.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2073182/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-amd-8350.html
Have you tried AMD Overdrive to make sure your temps are correct? Cuz HWMonitor isn't what's best actually to check AMD temps.
If you have large FPS drops, have you considered changing your rig? FXs aren't that good at all with games, you know?

Solution

Stanley Wineter

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

I will try AMD OverDrive and try To re install the Cooler.
If none of this works i will also look into a new CPU as i didnt know that was the case. Thank you

ebayguy2006

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
Agreed w rice dot. Your temos sound similar to those who dont have paste. One ultra thin layer spread from that rice dot is best. Too much will insulate the cpu not transfer heat.

are you using 1 fan or 2 fans on the evo 212

i have owned these cpus and they run quite hot

what case are you using ?

i got mines stable at 65c when heavy gaming

the fx are fine for gaming there not the best but they can game quite well in cpu heavy games mainly

i wouldnt change the rig for one component as that is a royal pain in the rear

if your using the stock paste that came with the evo that would explain alot its trash and rubbish

you will need the follow
Isopropyl Alcohol 99%
Johnson Baby Cotton Buds
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut ( is name of thermal paste its best paste around if you cant get it get mx4 thermal paste instead)
anti static cloth or coffee filter paper
a small cemeric dish or cup youll never use that is clean

turn of pc and unplug hold power button to distrarge any electric left and then open up and remove cooler

ground yourself also if you dont have a grounding cable touch the case to disperse any static from you

pour the iso into the cup dip cue tip in it and clean the cooler with the cue tips ( use multiple do not redip same cue tip in the same solution use a new one or you will just be adding grease back on cpu lid and cooler)
get into all the nooks in the pipes and everything get it shiny and no traces of old thermal paste dry with anti static cloth or coffee filter same with cpu place cooler place to side with the contacts facing up do not get this dirty again or you will have to clean cpu cooler again.

also noted if you see any thermal paste on motherboard clean it of with same chemical it will evaporate as well so you may not have to dry it if its gone.

next reapplying the paste put a little more then a pea size dot these cpus require a bit more then the pea size someone recomends i know ive used these cpus before and the pea method is pretty much stupid it never covers the whole cpu lid on the amd fx

use a gift card hard plastic ( clean one and no credit cards as this can leave traces of crap from the cards) spread the paste evenly till you cant see the metal lid ( do not lift the card while spreading or you could create bubbles ) place the heatsink back on ( remove fans ) to tighten do it in a X one on each side this helps spread the paste more and squeezes out the excess finally once the heatsink is on go around the cpu socket with a cue tip run it round it this will pick up any squeezed out excess paste and also make it air tight forcing the heat to the cooler put on the 2 fans and plug them up

recomend below
i recomend
Akasa AK-CBFA04-15 PWM

and fans below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856050&cm_re=120mm_fan-_-35-856-050-_-Product

plug it up into cpu header and then fire up pc

hopefully your temps will be idling

30-37c idle
55c gaming 65c max

it does take a while for the paste to settle so give it a few weeks of gaming

as mine stayed at 60c gaming

As others mentioned, try a reinstall of the cooler. Make sure to tighten the center knurled nut/screw in the center of the cooler under the cooling tower at the base to increase pressure to the cpu. It will help ensure good contact with the cpu. Amd overdrive is about the best chance for getting accurate temps and idle temps may not be overly accurate regardless.

When it comes to adding more fans, push/pull on the 212 evo has little effect. If you're really reaching into the 80's C another fan won't make much difference, maybe 2, 3c or so difference. It won't drop temps 10-20c, nothing significant. Spreading the paste with a card isn't recommended either, there are several sources like Asus and the like which have shown what happens when spreading the paste with a card. It causes poor coverage and leaves air bubbles, you're better off with a rice/pea drop method in the center and letting the cooler pressure spread the paste out. If worried about full coverage then try using the 'x' method.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rn0BqMyXBM

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
A rice/pea drop in the middle is enough, there is no need to use more. The whole lid doesn't have to be covered, the CPU is smaller than that and right in the middle. The X method is useless, you'll get bubbles when the paste spreads out with the pressure.
Oh and it's been some time now that you don't need to wait for the paste to settle. Get some Noctua NT-H1. Really easy to apply and it works great :)

I wouldn't say the x method is useless. Works quite well on my build and as shown in the link above from puget systems, it created the least amount of bubbles. If it's useless or creates lots of bubbles I'd like to see contrary evidence. Both methods work and aren't worth stressing over but to say one method is useless has 0 merit. Especially when it's been shown/proven otherwise.

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
The X is not that good AMHA. Ok it's not useless, but you might get bubbles when the paste spreads and meets the other lines. Dunno if I make myself clear...
It's better to have a dot that spreads evenly on the die, than another shape (like an X) that will spread in a different way all around the die and that will meet the other layer while applying pressure.
Anyway, a dot is the best way, AMHA. Worked on all my rigs too.

Stanley Wineter

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I have just Reinstalled the Cooler at the moment and already my temperatures seem to be better. Will give it a while to see if the changes are permanent and if not will look into other methods. Seems to work at the moment though! Thanks

TRENDING THREADS