my i7-4790 always peak at 100c when playing games

Loshirai14

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
i'll use world of warships for example, there are times when i played the game for 4 hours straight and that's like my cpu at constant 100c for 4 hours. Is there any way i can lower the temp? when my pc is idle, it peaks at 45 - 55c. i'm not having any performance issues which is why i decided to ask before something happens.

here's a screenshot after i closed world of warships (world of warships is the only game i tested atm)
25580-0-1469936538.jpg

Solution
The heatsink and fan that sits on top of your CPU is the issue. It's probably not sitting flush against the surface of your CPU. Judging by your CPU fan speed, it's probably the Intel retail cooler, which looks like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pGNsmkPYt3g/maxresdefault.jpg

If that's the one, it's held in place by plastic pegs that tend to pop out and become loose. Ideally, you should reapply thermal paste and then reseat it.

Your CPU has survived by throttling its speed and voltage down. You've probably been getting much lower performance than stock for a long time.

Loshirai14

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

i barely know computer hardware.. Which cooler are you saying that is not installed correctly? how do i verify correct installation? I have been using this PC for a year now playing some hardware demanding games. I'm surprised how it lasted that long without a cooler.

scuzzycard

Honorable
The heatsink and fan that sits on top of your CPU is the issue. It's probably not sitting flush against the surface of your CPU. Judging by your CPU fan speed, it's probably the Intel retail cooler, which looks like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pGNsmkPYt3g/maxresdefault.jpg

If that's the one, it's held in place by plastic pegs that tend to pop out and become loose. Ideally, you should reapply thermal paste and then reseat it.

Your CPU has survived by throttling its speed and voltage down. You've probably been getting much lower performance than stock for a long time.

Solution