Which RX 480 should I buy?

jason1297

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
I have recently built my first gaming PC running an i5 4460 and 16gb of DDR3 RAM on a 550W cooler master PSU. I intend to add an 8gb RX 480 to the build, but have found that different manufacturers make their own versions of the card. Is any one manufacturer 'better' than another, or should I just pick up the cheapest at the time of buying?

Solution
The Reference RX 480's are all basically the same (the XFX 8gb has a backplate, otherwise the same) so if you are going that route get whatever is cheapest.

If you are going aftermarket cooling they are just now coming out and will perform better and run quieter than the reference cards. However you're going to need to watch the reviews that are coming over the next few weeks as they are released.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The Reference RX 480's are all basically the same (the XFX 8gb has a backplate, otherwise the same) so if you are going that route get whatever is cheapest.

If you are going aftermarket cooling they are just now coming out and will perform better and run quieter than the reference cards. However you're going to need to watch the reviews that are coming over the next few weeks as they are released.

Solution
1) If you are playing in 1080p I would get the 4gb version over the 8gb. The difference in performance between the two does not justify the cost premium of the 8gb (unless you are doing crossfire).

2) There are some manufacturers that are better than others. Some that are all rather equal. In general I would look for a non-reference cooler design from any of the major brands like Sapphire, MSI, Asus, XFX, Gigabyte, etc.

Jhayr_1433

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
IMOHO i would prefer Aftermarket RX 480 since it gives you more room on overclocking or thermal Dissipation. I have the Power color RX 480 and having a Reference card for the first time its pretty loud lol. but overall (not being a fanboy) alot of people i know returned the RX 480 and grab GTX 1060 since the 8GB is already $267(thats what i paid for including the shipping) and performance wise the GTX 1060 beat RX 480 in some games T.T

But its up to you the Sapphire RX 480 Reference is has a backplate :)