i7 6700 or i7 6700k for 144hz on gtx 1070

xYowie

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
Looking to play things like gtx 5, battlefield 4, witcher 3 at 144hz, an i5 is simply not enough but should i get the i7 6700 or i7 6700k, I have a none overclockable board but the k version is 400MHz faster so i don't know which one to get.

Solution

Get the i7 6700k with a cooler like the Cryorig H7 from newegg for $35.
Much better temps than with the stock cooler, a higher base clock speed and potential for overclocking in the future if you feel like getting a Z170 board. Better value too.

Get the i7 6700k with a cooler like the Cryorig H7 from newegg for $35.
Much better temps than with the stock cooler, a higher base clock speed and potential for overclocking in the future if you feel like getting a Z170 board. Better value too.

Solution
If you have a non-overclockable motherboard then the 6700 will do very nicely. From a gaming perspective, overclocking is only useful when the CPU bottlenecks the GPU. By the time that happens, you're probably due an upgrade anyway. A 400Mhz base clock isn't going to matter and the boost clock is only a 200Mhz difference.

It's a 600Mhz base clock difference! ^.^
To be honest, for the extra $10 or $15 that it costs for the k variant, it's most definitely worth it, if not only to increase the resale value a few years from now.
An i7 will get quite hot with the stock cooler regardless, so picking up an aftermarket cooler was probably going to happen anyway.
For for the price it's a great deal, it leaves options open for future builds should you decide to overclock to get more performance out of it. Even if you don't overclock (It's not entirely clear whether you do or not) I'd still recommend picking up the H7 and a 6700k for an extra bit of cash.

Edit: Just noticed that the 6700k is not in fact $15 in price difference, was basing this off a price I saw yesterday for it! :p
Assumed it would be the same today, apparently not. :(
Get the 6700 non k if you don't overclock, should be very similar performance.
I still recommend picking up the cooler regardless.