771 dual socket Motherboard with modern pci express slots

hardyboys209

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Im looking for a motherboard that supports dual x5450's and has a pci-e slot for modern video cards and sata ports. Long time pc builder, i just need some insight into a good old board to use with the right slots.

Thanks!

Solution

The motherboard is going to be the most expensive part, since finding a working workstation motherboard not attached to a system is going to be next to impossible. Try seeing if you can find old Dell/HP workstations missing the CPUs, you might get lucky and find a working board
Not going to happen, that chip is almost a decade old now, so the only officially supported boards have PCIe1.0/1.1. Newer GPUs often have problems with older motherboards (especially PCIe3.0 ones), so you're just asking for trouble. A new i7 6700 generally outperforms 2x x5450 by a significant amount, even in heavy threaded applications.

hardyboys209

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

I dont mean super new but like a 560 or 580, would gen 1 support it well enough to get decent frames?

Decent frames in what?

It's pretty hard to tell compatibility of server/workstation grade components with non-qualified components. You can try, but know there's always a risk of it not working because it was never made to work with gaming equipment. If you stick to workstation boards, you should minimize the risks, but they will still be quite high and definitely not worth putting money into considering an i3 6100 will get better FPS in most games...

hardyboys209

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

Not any game particular, just not completely bottlenecked by the old slot. And the build is a cheap one, already bought both cpu's and just need the motherboard.

The motherboard is going to be the most expensive part, since finding a working workstation motherboard not attached to a system is going to be next to impossible. Try seeing if you can find old Dell/HP workstations missing the CPUs, you might get lucky and find a working board

Solution