will an i7 920 fit into a g31tm-p21?

__Imperfekt__

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
i was looking to buy one of these to upgrade. but concerned if it will fit in. if it cant any sugggestions for a cpu?

Solution
No it won't, the i7 920 is an LGA1366 CPU that is only compatible with motherboards that have the X58 chipset. The G31 chipset is found on LGA775 socket motherboards. The best CPU your board supports in the Core 2 Quad Q9650, though pretty much any other Core 2 Quad will work aside from the Yorkfield Extreme Edition, the QX9770.

At this point in time, the LGA775 socket is obsolete, and I wouldn't spend a lot of money trying to upgrade it. Look at a new CPU, motherboard and RAM combo if you can. If you absolutely have to stick with that board, don't spend too much on a CPU look for a cheap used one, Core 2 Quads are not worth 200 to 300 dollars or whatever you might find for a new one.
No it won't, the i7 920 is an LGA1366 CPU that is only compatible with motherboards that have the X58 chipset. The G31 chipset is found on LGA775 socket motherboards. The best CPU your board supports in the Core 2 Quad Q9650, though pretty much any other Core 2 Quad will work aside from the Yorkfield Extreme Edition, the QX9770.

At this point in time, the LGA775 socket is obsolete, and I wouldn't spend a lot of money trying to upgrade it. Look at a new CPU, motherboard and RAM combo if you can. If you absolutely have to stick with that board, don't spend too much on a CPU look for a cheap used one, Core 2 Quads are not worth 200 to 300 dollars or whatever you might find for a new one.

Solution