RX 480 - Asus Strix vs MSI Gaming X vs Sapphire Nitro+ vs Powercolor Red Devil

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a custom RX 480 8 GB (not reference) card. The qualities I seek are:

- Lower power consumption
- Lower temperature and noise under load
- Reliability (I plan to keep it for 2-3 years)

There are several options available: Asus Strix, MSI Gaming X, Sapphire Nitro+ and Powercolor Red Devil, which one would you recommend? And where can I find reliable reviews of these cards?

Thanks!

Solution
Looks very good for the price to me, considerably cheaper
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-rx-480-nitro-oc-4gb-8gb-review/32/

All 3 cards are good options to be honest.

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

Thank you for your reply. From what I've seen on the internet so far the Sapphire Nitro+ has so far nearly the worst reviews among the custom cards in terms of temperature (75+ degrees). The MSI Gaming X and Asus Strix versions have better temperatures with the Strix being louder (around 39-41 db) and cooler (69 degrees) and the Gaming X being more silent (31 db) but slightly warmer (71 degrees).

That is why I asked if somebody could refer me to reliable reviews of these cards.

DanielMZXG

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

I was on the same boat (well, I still am)
I'v skipped the Nitro+ because there were bugs and MANY bad reviews (so as threads on other forums)
Asus Strix I don't trust their warranty (at least in my country, they try everything but giving you A WARRANTY)
The Devil seems good, so as the Gaming X.

In the end I picked the Gaming X, because it is pretty small (compared to the other rx 480 aib) the quietest, good temps (I don't see any problem with 75C, above that, I do.)
About consumption, I dunno, but its pretty much the same more or less (1~3 more or less euros per month for electric?)

Spamburger

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
I was actually surprised how much the Nitro+ got trashed. I think the Gaming X's slightly high power usage was because it could hold a more stable boost clock because its cooler is so good.