FX 8320 using max of 50% in games - Please help me

Gssephiroth

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
Good morning, i dont speak english fluently, but i don't have any solutions in the foruns of my language (portuguese), i will try explain:

In games my FX 8320 comes in maximum of 50% use... i discover in the dragons dogma, when i arrive in the open map, my fps drop from 60 to 40, and i realized (looking in the numbers of msi in the game) the processor don't go after of 50% use... the vga stay in ~70% use, and processor in the limit of 50%, and fps in ~40...

I already test in crysis 3, project cars whith low resolutions and processor don't pass 50% making botleneck in vga, showing that the processor don't uses more than 50%.. i already run unparking cores, desativate turbo core, and cool and quiet...

I will up some prints of the games and bios

Sem%20t%C3%ADtulo2.jpg

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0292.JPG

Solution

Progs like core temp or MSI afterburner will show usage over time,100% on 4 cores will show up as 50% usage on all 8 because the OS shuffles around the threads to prevent the same regions of the CPU to heat up all the time.
Dragon dogma runs with 3-4 threads but only the first 2 really do heavy lifting.
zAk7cNj.jpg

Gssephiroth

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016

but he already using 8 cores in the games... the problem is not pass of 50% usage

Gssephiroth

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016

but here the pictures are showing normally... i upload into the my acount in the onedrive and copy the url

uguv

Distinguished

Is it 50% overall usage or is that the highest usage on any core. Are any of the cores at 100%?

Progs like core temp or MSI afterburner will show usage over time,100% on 4 cores will show up as 50% usage on all 8 because the OS shuffles around the threads to prevent the same regions of the CPU to heat up all the time.
Dragon dogma runs with 3-4 threads but only the first 2 really do heavy lifting.
zAk7cNj.jpg

Solution

rgd1101

Don't

Because it your account, not a open account.

Sizzor

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
dx 11 does not utilize more than 2 cores in games. check with any Dx 12 titles the CPU usage will be more as DX12 and vulkan supports multicore and multithreaded architecture natively.
Check in windows task manager or any other program see all the cores are being utilized by the games or not.Probably in Dx11 titles CPU utilization will remain the same but in DX12 and Vulkan CPU utilization will be much higher.
check out best features of Dx 12 and Vulkan

Gssephiroth

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016

so i7 have a same problem? because i never seem people complaining about that... so my fx 8320 will usage only 50% in all games dx11?

rgd1101

Don't

what?
right at the link, DirectX 11 just not using cores evenly
http://www.tekgrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/dx11-cmdbuffer.jpg

I7 has about twice the speed on every thread so they get about twice the FPS so with an i7 you don't care that much because you get enough FPS.

Don't bet your farm on that,the most important feature of mantle/vulkan/Dx12 is the absence of the graphics driver,which means one thread less in those games and not more threads.
Look at dota2 with vulkan,same amount of threads minus the driver which means that the % of the driver can be used to run the rest of the threads faster.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDAWW8nkGU"][/video]

Sizzor

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

yes you are right , but with Dx12 and vulkan the resource management is handled by the game which was first handled by graphic driver .So the drivers got slimmer compared to that of DX11. The amount of threads used by the games is depends on how the game was programed. Not all game uses all the threads .The main computation is performed by the first core then it may spread its workload to other cores if the game was programmed to do so in Dx11. In DX12 and Vulkan devs don't need to worry about that as the api natively supports multi core CPU so the workload is spread across all the core evenly.
Since all the cores are being utilized , more draw calls can be executed by the processor and the GPU.

Sizzor

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

Dx11 supports multithreaded architecture natively but it is not optimized very well and I7's single thread performance is much greater than that of FX8320.

InfoSponge16

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Hey Op, thought might give a shot at helping you out. I don't completely understand the way you have worded the way you have your CPU settings. I can't see the images. You know your CPU is not going over 50% usage. If turbocore is disabled, you should reenable it. As far as core parking, ensure all cores are enabled, but I wouldn't disable core parking. Cores that aren't getting parked during gaming that doesn't use them is just creating uneccessary heat and power usage. Check power settins in your operating system and ensure it is not limiting CPU performance. Ensure your processor isn't getting too hot and being thermally limited.