Will my i5 3570 bottleneck my 970 ssc?

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
Will my i5 3570 bottleneck a EVGA gtx 970 ssc acx2.0 4gb? Planning to play games like overwatch, battlefield 1, gta 5, black ops 3, etc.

Solution
CPUs always bottleneck GPUs, and vise versa. It depends on what graphical settings you intend to run, at what resolution, what your target framerate is, and what games you play.

Overall, the 3rd-gen i5's are still very solid CPUs and will deliver good performance in the vast majority of games.
CPUs always bottleneck GPUs, and vise versa. It depends on what graphical settings you intend to run, at what resolution, what your target framerate is, and what games you play.

Overall, the 3rd-gen i5's are still very solid CPUs and will deliver good performance in the vast majority of games.

Solution
Overall, not much if at all especially if you game with higher AA settings at 1080p or run a higher 1440p resolution. Both put more stress on the GPU vs. the CPU no matter if the game is CPU speed responsive. At best, a Skylake i5 6600 vs. your Ivy Bridge i5 3570 would only gain a few FPS with that 970. Other benchmarks, specifically productivity applications, are another matter though in CPU performance comparisons.

In short, you will run out of GPU power with that 970 before you run out of CPU power in gaming.

There are some cases where your i5 might not allow 60 frames in those games, but for the most part your framerates will be very good. I don't think an upgrade is justified yet, especially if you can squeeze an extra 10-20% out of your chip via overclocking.

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014

What your saying is games like maybe battlefield 1 and doom I may need to turn it down a notch? to high or even lower? I've seen some benchmark videos and for the most part all of the games above maintain a solid 60fps on ultra with the same gpu and cpu.

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014

hm, so you are saying sometimes the cpu wont let it go any higher in certain areas? okay that makes sense, but for the majority will I be okay?

Yeah, that's exactly how it works. CPUs and GPUs don't "balance" each other, your CPU is simply capable of delivering a certain number of frames, that's either enough for you or it isn't. Usually that number will be well above 60 with a modern i5.

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014

Alright, thanks for the answers :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I ran a 3570k with a 970 for a few months. Used on Metal Gear Solid: V. At max settings and 4k render at 1080p on dual monitors it reached 59% cpu and 99% gpu usage. Moved upto the 3770k and got 53%/99%. The 3570 / 970 won't be an issue in most games. There are exceptions, like heavily modded, high settings in GTA:V, but that game can bog down even a skylake i7-6700k with a gtx1080 at 1080p.