Fx 8350 not running at correct frequency

BiggerAndScarier

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Hello! So today I was benchmarking doom with bad performance ( even on lowest possible settings with Vulcan or OpenGL I hit 12 fps at times usually hovering around 30) so I make the game windowed to see that my supposedly overclocked cpu was only running at 4.0 ghz not 4.4. I really don't know how much of a difference this can make for me but I'm also trying to work out the performance issues.
Pc specs:
Fx 8350
Corsair h110 on cpu
Ga-990fxa ud3
Asus gtx 680 2gb
Corsair vengeance pro 8gb

BiggerAndScarier

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
What PSU do you have? The low performance sounds more like system instability or overheating because you have overclocked and not cooling either the motherboard VRM's or the CPU.
Pick as the solution
I have a cx600m psu and the cooling should be fine as under load the gpu doesn't break 60 and the cpu is water cooled. The case internal temp is also hovering around 32 so that's not high either.

spat55

Distinguished

What temperature is the 8350 running at then? Also same for the VRM's what are they running at?

What are your temps?
Have you done a CLEAN driver install?

4.0 GHz is NORMAL for multithreaded high loads on stock 8350. it will NOT turbo to 4.2 at stock unless most CPU cores are under only a moderate load and it has the headroom to boost 2 cores to max. And yes, stock settings will ONLY boost 2 cores to 4.2.

You will only get higher clocks if you disable boost and manually OC. The good news is most FX 8350 can do around 4.4 GHz on all 8 cores at stock voltage. The 990FX-UD3 is a decent overclocker as long as you don't have the rev 2 or 3 board with the dinky NB heatsinks. Rev 1.0, 1.1 and 4.0+ are good. I ran my 8350 on a 990FX-UD3 Rev 1.0 (* no LLC) at 4.5 GHz with a Hyper 212 EVO and just a hair over stock voltage for a year before I upgraded. No issues.

As always, be careful and take your time when tuning your OC. Ensure solid power and good cooling. And read some good guides first.