i5 6600 non k multiplier overclock

Brad Baltus

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
i have changed the multipler to 39 and disabled turbo core in the bios. sometimes using cpuz i see the speed jump to 3.7 ghz but while using prime95 to stress test it only stays at 3.6 ghz. how do i get my cpu to stay at the overclocked 3.9ghz? my mobo is a gigabyte z170xp-sli with the latest bios

Solution

The way the CPU and chipsets are designed you are not supposed to be able to overclock a NON "K" version of the Intel iCore CPUs. Gigabyte motherboards in the past have had a tendency to run the CPU at the boost clock speed most of the time which make the test of their motherboard generate better numbers. The i5-6600 boost clock or Max Turbo Frequency is 3.9 GHz. That is why you saw that number appear you didn't overclock it, it is...

The way the CPU and chipsets are designed you are not supposed to be able to overclock a NON "K" version of the Intel iCore CPUs. Gigabyte motherboards in the past have had a tendency to run the CPU at the boost clock speed most of the time which make the test of their motherboard generate better numbers. The i5-6600 boost clock or Max Turbo Frequency is 3.9 GHz. That is why you saw that number appear you didn't overclock it, it is the normal boost clock speed for that CPU when it needs more Ghz to power thru programs and games.

Solution