FX 4300 Overclocked H55 corsair cooler 60 degrees load

ArkThanatos

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
ok recently I OC'ed my 4300 to 4.8. ran stable.. ish.. AIDA64 had some issues running at times. lock ups, but AMD overdrive and CPU-z stress test ran alright. but in DS3 while playing it clock up to 69 degrees, ran ok but that seems rather high temped, just wondering what are acceptable running temps on a OC 4300 on a closed circuit cooling system... im upping the fans to Corsairs SP120 2350RPM fans to run in PnP on the rad. hopefully will drop the temps a bit

this is running on a Asrock 970 Extreme 3 R.2 Mobo in a RV04 Silverstone. 16Gb Ram and various HDD which don't really equate into this... PSU is a thermaltake 750 lite. so cable management is like spaghetti. im just wondering if this could be either mobo has issues with various OC's or is it lack of positive pressure or insufficient cooling. I haven't seen anyone else do a OC on this board or in this combo so im kinda flying one eyed with the OC settings, if anyone has some info would be much obliged. this is the first time I done some OC'ing I had it stable with a 8hr run on 4.3Ghz but for some reason my web browsers seemed to be laggy as did League of legends to load up. but dark souls (yes that rage inducing game of cancer AIDS and death) ran fine. also I did go into MSconfig and set it to all 4 cores all the time.

at one point I had AMD overdrive just OC'ing 2 cores and it stayed under 55 degrees but for the life of me I cant get it to repeat this action, it now insists that all cores must be the same, even a individual OC on cores would be nice to do for better fine tuning

so im open to info and suggesting's.. please no ******* responses only really going to listen to helpful people

First thing. STOP overclocking thru software, it's not reliable at all, use BIOS settings. AOD will give you accurate readings unlike AIDA etc.
Also, if you OC, you should turn off all "Turbo" and power saving modes and set voltages on manual even if you keep default values. Only after you get decent and stable OC, you can try turning on some power saving modes and see if any interfere with stability.

ArkThanatos

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

i have done both overclock styles, the bios seemed alot better and i trust it more. turbo core n stuff is off, my biggest concern thou was the heat the cpu was generating, more so then stability, i mean it was pretty stable at 4600 for a bit till i dialed it back, 4300 seems best really, i need to find out what all the values do and which ones are worth changing.

manigma

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
What voltage settings are you using?

I get my 4300 stable at 4.8Ghz with 1.356V. CPU Full load temp 50°C. I have Cooler Master Hyper 103. Corsair VS550 psu. Gigabyte GA78LMT-S2 (3+1 phase).

Aida64 extreme is a fantastic stress testing software first off. Second always overclock in the bios NEVER through software in windows. I would get a better cooler and not just change the fans. Thats a very low end clc so it wont do alot for you. A h100i or something would be much better option. Temps will be alot better.

ArkThanatos

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
i have a RV04 so anything bigger then a 120mm rad is not going to work, well atm, to spare the details of what it takes to get a 240x120 rad in there ill just say this, after few things are done first, then ill be looking at a custom cooling unit, possibly a 120x240 and a 120x120 and a 5.25 double bay res an pump, which will deal with the heat issues.

the current H55 works great on a standard CPU, but it really isn't beefy enough to do anything about OC-ing it seems... well anything over 4.3, the other thing is my motherboard with its 4+1 VRM is probably not the best and handling larger over clocks. im only using software to monitor the cpu stuff now.

the 2 new SP120 corsair fans thou have made a difference, between 4-10 degrees difference, about 4 on idle, 10 in game, the old fan was like a mouse coughing on the rad.

im thinking thou, best bet is wait for the Zen CPU's to come out an then just get a 6 core zen, new mobo and ram, an look at the cooling system from there, cos really the little old 4300 is out dated and out classed this day and age, has alot of potential, but only on the right mobo i think, being a asrock 970 extreme 3... its not really the bee's knees really, its rather low end.