100% Disk Usage spikes

Sucheme

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
So recently my disk usage has been spiking to 100% no idea why. When I play some games like CSS it goes down though and i get 200-300fps , but if I attempt to open another program or any other game like CSGO the fps is capped at 30 and goes down to about 22-29 . This has been happening for the past 2 days ive done a error check and my health status on hd tune is ok.

my specs are
gtx 960
amd fx-6300
GA-970A-DS3P
16gb ram

My power plan is on max the only thing thats changed recently is a new monitor ive gotten but im sure thats not the reason.
ive also disabled some services what are suggested to be disabled when I searched for a solution

Solution
Use Task Manager and the Resource Monitor to identify the processes/services that are causing the 100% disk usage.

Then determine why those processes and services are running. Could be some corrupted application that is not releasing disk access or continually trying to write data due to some bug or some unusual circumstances triggered by the new monitor....

You could put the old monitor back (if you still have it) and test. The premise being that the cause is "reversable" after the fact.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and the Resource Monitor to identify the processes/services that are causing the 100% disk usage.

Then determine why those processes and services are running. Could be some corrupted application that is not releasing disk access or continually trying to write data due to some bug or some unusual circumstances triggered by the new monitor....

You could put the old monitor back (if you still have it) and test. The premise being that the cause is "reversable" after the fact.

Solution
Hey there, @Sucheme!

I'd advise you follow @Ralston's suggestion and check the processes that might be causing these spikes. If it's a software, you should definitely try re-installing it and check the Disk Usage again. If the problem persists, I'd suggest you swap the SATA cable connecting the HDD and also check how it will perform from another SATA port. Since there's nothing wrong with the HDD according to the diagnostic tests, you should probably consider checking the programs/services that might be causing you these headaches.

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

TRENDING THREADS