Solved

Any advice on removing this malware?

not sure what to label the thread but, EVERY time i open Google Chrome, there's 2 browsers that open (I've tried deleting them from google settings, had no success) I've tried using multiple anti-malware solutions, MalwareBytes picks it up but when i click to remove it, it comes back.

Strange thing is, that when I factory reset this computer and opened up Chrome it was gone (I knew it wasn't in the BIOS or just hidden somewhere in my files) then i went to log in to my Google account and boom it's [watch your language] back.

is this anything to do with cache or cookies or something?
Thanks in advance <3
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice removing malware
  1. Best answer
    You can try following steps :

    1. Exit Google Chrome completely.
    2. Enter the keyboard shortcut Windows key +E to open Windows Explorer.
    3. In the Windows Explorer window that appears enter the following in the address bar.
    o Windows XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\
    o Windows Vista/ Windows 7/ Windows 8: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\
    4. Locate the folder called "Default" in the directory window that opens and rename it as "Backup default."
    5. Try opening Google Chrome again. A new "Default" folder is automatically created as you start using the browser.
    I got this from another forum see if it works.
  2. I have the same problem with edge. It brings up this dang hp search engine called "The search by hp" I can't get rid of it and it isn't malware. At least I hope. You could also try uninstalling chrome and reinstalling it too. But make sure the problem isn't tied to your account like browser extensions that stay forever until deleted.
  3. Are you saying 2 instances of chrome are opening up or chrome and a different browser? Check task manager and see whats running. Try running Ccleaner esp. the registry cleaning part. Be careful when installing software that you uncheck any addons it may want to install.
  4. JaymanHD said:
    I have the same problem with edge. It brings up this dang hp search engine called "The search by hp" I can't get rid of it and it isn't malware. At least I hope. You could also try uninstalling chrome and reinstalling it too. But make sure the problem isn't tied to your account like browser extensions that stay forever until deleted.


    You can uninstall the HP toolbar whenever you want preventing any such things.(Or disable from edge settings)
  5. manv said:
    JaymanHD said:
    I have the same problem with edge. It brings up this dang hp search engine called "The search by hp" I can't get rid of it and it isn't malware. At least I hope. You could also try uninstalling chrome and reinstalling it too. But make sure the problem isn't tied to your account like browser extensions that stay forever until deleted.


    You can uninstall the HP toolbar whenever you want preventing any such things.(Or disable from edge settings)

    Believe me I tried. I went into settings for edge completely deleted that toolbar (not disabled). It still pops up. I may have to try something else this time though
  6. How about from the control panel itself(uninstall the program?)? Im sure HP will let you remove such toolbars.
  7. manv said:
    How about from the control panel itself(uninstall the program?)? Im sure HP will let you remove such toolbars.


    It was a week ago when I did this so I can't remember exactly but I will try that. I knew I did malware scan, anti virus, internet settings, programs and features to see if it was hiding in there but with no luck. I will try again today though, thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Chrome Malware Networking