7770 Black screen after win 7 start up logo

dark_blitz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2012
Experiencing a weird issue with my bro's 7770, after installing a Win 7 Ultimate and installing a AMD Driver (which is a HD 7700 series driver) the installer would ask for a restart and it would get stuck after the Windows 7 start up logo it'll blink for a second and then it hangs(?) because the numlock doesn't seem to work after.

Specs:
ECS Motherboard (Don't know the exact model)
AMD Dual Core processor 4600 2.10ghz
4GB RAM
Power Color 7770
450w plus PSU with 6pin adapter

it seems to work properly with minor issues on the previous board (which was an intel proc and dell inspiron mobo) but with slight issues. the display works with using just Standard VGA adapter and it only happens after installing the drivers. Drivers were catalyst 14.3 (from powercolor themselves and 16.4 Crimsons)

please help, thanks!

Solution

Sounds like a dead video card. First thing would have been to test it in another system before changing parts.

dark_blitz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2012
UPDATE*

tried numerous versions of drivers from 13.1 to the Latest drivers and still the same issue, reformatted the system to Windows 10 and it worked for 3 days until it hit a snag and the same issue repeatedly occurs. bought 600w generic psu from 450watts generic and still the same. I even swapped out a different motherboard and HDD (80gb and 500gb) but no luck. It updates and detects the driver (even gpu-z says it 7770) but then it all it does is give me a black screen after the start up logo and that's that..

Sounds like a dead video card. First thing would have been to test it in another system before changing parts.

Solution