FX-8350 fps drops every 50 seconds

mijeeva

Reputable
May 28, 2015
I recently installed a GTX 680 in my PC and when playing GTA V, I get a smooth 60fps at high settings for about 50 seconds and then the fps drops drastically, making the game unplayable for about 10 seconds. I used open hardware monitor to monitor the CPU and GPU and found that during the 10 seconds, the CPU (FX-8350) goes to 100% load, and i'm pretty sure it's not thermal throttling as it tends to stay at about 50-55 degrees. The GPU stays at about 65 degrees.
I really don't know why there is an fps drop because even with my old GTX 650 at low settings, I didn't get any drops.

My specs:
AMD FX-8350
GeForce GTX 680
16GB DDR3 RAM
Asus M5A78L-M
EVGA 500W
Windows 10

mijeeva

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm going to start by closing all background applications as I did have a few running while I played GTA.
I'll monitor the CPU frequency and the BIOS is definitely up to date.
Are there any good motherboards anyone would recommend which are around £50 for this particular usage?

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
MSI Gaming 970
I forget the number of the other with a 8+2 power phase. It's an ASUS, but not the Evo.

Not sure how much they run, but any other board besides these listed in the 970 chipset will have the same issues as your current one because of the VRM power phase design.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/Vrdqqs/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p
That one is around £70-80

I also looked myself and all the boards that were at practically £50 were funnily enough the same brand as yours (Asrock) and pretty much the same in quality as your current one.

Well Asrock do make good boards as I have an Asrock Anniversary for my i7 4790K, which handles it fine.
Motherboard has good VRM cooling tech so that does fine too, quality does count as you can't always cheap out.

The Asrock AM3+ aren't very good sadly.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
You have to remember most am3 designs are dinosaurs from the phenom days. The thought of a 125 or 225w processor being dropped in one wasn't an issue. They make good am3 boards too. Most people just don't buy them because they are more expensive. And if you buy a quality board and a good cpu cooler, and an 8350 in the past 2/3 years you're silly as you can buy am i5 nonk for cheaper and out perform it