FX-8350 Overclocking Question

L1011_Pilot

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
Greetings,

I overclocked my AMD FX-8350 to 4.2GHz via the multiplier settings in my MOBO (ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Killer). To ensure stability, I used Prime95 and ran the test for 7 hours + (see attached picture) with no errors. From what I understand, this would mean my overclock is stable.

During other Prime95 tests my FX-8350 had temperatures of about 113-120 *F (45-49 *C) mean temperature being 114 *F according to the HWMonitor app. The Prime95 test ran for about 7 Hours+. There were no failures reported and according to the reading material in the test if the test shows no errors over 6 hours it would indicate my system is stable.

From my understanding the temperature range is okay for the FX-8350 and the overclock is stable. I did not make any changes to the default vCore value which has always been 1.3v since I built this PC.

Still, I have some questions about this particular overclocking in regards to the CPU lifetime...

1. By keeping the vCore voltage (1.3v) the same as default and just raising the multiplier does this increase the heat of the processor to the point it would affect its lifetime? (My understanding is that up-volting the CPU and the additional heat from that will reduce life of the processor)

2. Does raising the multiplier increase the temperature of the CPU still even if the voltage remains the same? I don't see big differences with the temperatures of the processor with before and after overclocking.

3. From reading the forums, there's a consensus that the Noctua fans on my particular build are able to keep the FX-8350 with higher clock speeds (with multiplier and vCore). Has anyone heard of how their air coolers can go with the FX-8350 (i.e. 4.7 GHz is that possible?)

Thanks for your time and insights on this matter!

Solution
You're currently getting good temps. Try to stay under 65C and don't go too far over 1.5 vcore. So you can continue to pump in voltage and up the multiplier. You've done good testing and monitoring. Keep it up. At those temperatures, you're not damaging the processor.

Acapella

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013
You're currently getting good temps. Try to stay under 65C and don't go too far over 1.5 vcore. So you can continue to pump in voltage and up the multiplier. You've done good testing and monitoring. Keep it up. At those temperatures, you're not damaging the processor.

Solution

PatrioticPickle

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Your temp ranges are actually quite good for a 8350. 4.2ghz is a very light overclock because the CPU can turbo itself to 4.2ghz, with the settings you have now, your CPU will be safe from damage.

I am not a overclocker myself, but from what I've read is that upping the voltage is the main thing that can wreck your CPU if you dont know what your doing and up it too much.
Having the CPU under constant high temps will somewhat reduce the life of it, However the 8350 can easily go to 60c without shutting off.
Upping the multiplier doesn't raise the temps too much, its upping voltage that does this as more power is being given to the CPU. But if you up the multiplier too much without upping the voltage, you will have unstable clock speeds and your PC will probably reboot or shut off.

Every 8350 cpu is different, some will overclock really good, others not so much. Its all about trial and error.

I personally think the gains from overclocking a 8350 aren't worth it until you are going to at least the 4.7 mark.
Check this out to see what I mean http://www.hardwareunboxed.com/gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-fx-showdown/
The maximum increase from the overclock was a 4fps increase. At the result of extra heat and extra power consumption from the CPU.
But if you dont care about those things and want to overclock, go for it. At the end of the day your getting free extra performance from your CPU.

I'm guessing you want to overclock because you are unhappy with performance? What GPU do you have? Perhaps overclocking it would give more performance increase than overclocking the CPU as most games are GPU bound.