i7 6700-Non K INSANE Temperature

bkpolister

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
I have an i7 6700-non k version with the stock cooler from intel and im getting 65°c IDLE temperature and 88 to 101°c at load i need some assistance i dont know if this continuous use of the processor at this TEMP could damage it.

Also i want to know a good a cheap Water Cooling or a decent Fan cooler that could help me with this problem.

I have a Front 120mm fan cooling my HDD and SSD, a back 120mm pulling out the heat and a side 60mm fan Letting some air in directly to my CPU Fan

PD: i have a Coolermaster V8 (the normal one no the GS the first V8 with only 1 fan) i dont use it because somepeople say it might bend my i7 6700skylake because its too thin, that coolermaster v8 will be better than the intel stock fan?

HWINFO64 : https://gyazo.com/0e3c307cf9caceebcd60481532667b5d

My pc: https://gyazo.com/83aa03850cd7712b3d4bbbbd9ff24c96

Solution
Do not allow your CPU to run at those load temperatures or you will be buying a new one.

If your stock cooler is properly attached and the fan running on it, you should not be getting close to those temperatures.

I'll let some of the cooling pros help you select a better HSF.

RealBeast

Titan
Do not allow your CPU to run at those load temperatures or you will be buying a new one.

If your stock cooler is properly attached and the fan running on it, you should not be getting close to those temperatures.

I'll let some of the cooling pros help you select a better HSF.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Agreed!

The CPU HSF isn't installed properly. Regarding the V8, if it has mounting options for 1156 then yo can use it on your platform since the Socket H mounting holes haven't changed from that era. Outside of that bit of info, you're going to be fine mounting it to the CPU(provided it has the mounting option in the first place ;)).

bkpolister

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
ugh sorry picked u as solution, well i've managed to get down the temps at idle to 42-46°c thats a lot better, and for the V8 my socket its 1151not 1156 thats still ok? and the problem it's not if its fit or not the problem is, if it will Bend my CPU for the Pressure it does (sorry for my bad english)

bkpolister

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
well honestly i dont know... i just started Tweaking the GA-Z170X Gaming 3 APPCENTER in an app called "EasyTune"
it had a lot of stuff altered i just clicked DEFAULT on everything and i think that was it fixed it... also i put it on "ECO" state so it only will give power to my CPU when it needs it and a low power when its idle, also i've sent an Support ticket to Gigabyte to see what they have to say about this ( not like im blaming them of course)

Lutfij

Titan
Welp, if you're that concerned I can tell you that an old stock of CPU coolers courtesy of Coolermaster's Hyper 212 fit nicely without issues however given your recent post history in this thread, averting your CPU thermal issues without inspecting your CPU coolers installation(and it's TIM thereof) being faulty or improper is tell tale that you shouldn't go for the V8 on your system - you could over-tighten and crush your chip.

When dealing with threads of troubleshooting nature, you need to provide your full systems specs. We can't tell much from a picture.

bkpolister

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
Jesus christ i hate this buttom of " pick as solution"
my dudget ... hmmm im outside US so its hard for me to get US$ so... i could say like 80 - 100$ MAXIMUM please doest not matter if its a water cooling or just a fan cooling i dunno, if it work i'll take it
btw sir ty for your help

being more specific, in my case i can only take a 1 FAN water cooling like the Corsair H60 it has only 1 fan and thats all i can take because my case does not have 2 big 120mm holes to place a big ass water cooling system, also, as u know my cpu is intel7 6700 SKYLAKE 3.4ghz
mother board GA-Z170X GAMING 3
RAM DDR4 G SKILL 16X2 = 32GB
gpu : R9 390X 8GB
psu EVGA Supernova 850 B2
if u need anything else let me know

Lutfij

Titan
Happens to most who have a fidgety mouse or are on a smart phone! :p I removed it though ;)

It doesn't matter where you're located, just stating where you are located with a site perhaps can help us source the best priced cooler within your budget in your native currency. I ask since the pricing of some products tend to be higher due to shipping, customs fees and taxation.

You're welcome though we're not yet done with your issue. BTW can you please state your full system's specs inclusive of your chassis?

P.S: There's nothing wrong with quoting a post but since there are a few of us responding, perhaps use this format:
Username,
response......

to keep the thread clean. Someone else can be on the same boat as you so they could get to the solution faster ;)

bkpolister

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
Im sorry for everything i was a dumb... i will tell u what happened, My dad was the one who build this pc for me, BUT he had the AWESOME IDEA of letting the default thermal paste that came with the Stock intel cooler, THAT WAS THE PROBLEM, i got a little of thermal paste that i had in a gabinete and cleaned the cooler and the chip, now im getting 30°c degrees in the CORE and 34 in CPU Packages, the only bad new is that the chip has a little REALLY little like dark stain barely vissible like when u burn something... well like that IM HOPING AND praying to God that nothing bad happened to my chip, my pc works just fine it runs smooth w/o anyproblem or shuttering bluescreen or bla bla, i was nervous abut my chip cuz i know these are really expensive... ty for all your support guys i love this community.

Btw im still looking for another COOLER if u want to give me a hand ;) ty again guys !

Language edited by moderator. This is a family friendly site.
Lutfij.

Edit: my full pc specs are
I7 6700 3.4 ghz 8mb cache
R9 390X 8 GB SHAPPIRE
G SKILL 16 X2 = 32 GB
GA-Z170X GAMING 3
PSU EVGA 850 SUPERNOVA B2
1HDD SEAGATE 3tb 7400RPM 64mb
1ssd LE CORSAIR 240GB
1DVD/CD ASUS
1BLUE RAY dunno the brand..
2 120mm fans Rear and front
1 60mm side FAN
And the Chasis is a Thermaltake TUF (the ultimate force inside)
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81wwU7PKqHL._SL1500_.jpg its like this one but w/o the rack at the top of the chasis

Lutfij

Titan
Using the stock thermal paste on the stock HSF isn't a bad idea. It's supposed to get the job done. We've been saying that your installation of the cooler might've been faulty. Mind you the mark you're talking about is that which you see when brushed aluminium gets oil onto it. The oil will etch into it slightly but it gives off that change in the metals aesthetics. It's only aesthetic and should not cause a problem.

You could actually follow up this post with a picture of the discoloration(but that would mean having to take your cooler off again and also reapplying TIM). You haven't answered my question though:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3158991/6700-insane-temperature.html#18460179
Location?

In defense to your father, he was only trying to help and spend some time with you... ;)

I apologize but your chassis is wrongly stated, it's a Thermaltake Versa H22 chassis without the bundled PSU ofc.

You selected my post as the Best Answer for the third time, is this intentional? You also should watch your language here.

bkpolister

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
Lutfij

yeah that time was intentional : P, and the only difference as i said is that in my case the PSU goes in top letting al the HEAT go inside the case not outside(you can see it at the picture i've uploaded at the main post of this tread, and abour the language here.. did i said something bad? if its im sorry this is not my native language and im still learning im sorry.
hey i looked to that Hyper 212 you told me and i can aford that... its not that expensive here in my country, it's good? should i take that one?

edit: i live in venezuela main currency : Bsf (Bolivar Fuerte)
main language spanish

Lutfij

Titan
You're going all over the place! The rack you're talking about is the PSU mount...a rack is this. The chassis's model number and probably the make is wrong which will impeded our suggestions for a cooler since there is vertical height restrictions involved.

bkpolister

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
Lutfij

i dont know where to find the code of this Chasis the only thing i can do is send u some pictures of it, so u can see how it's give a min please i'll send another answer

Lutfij

Titan
Sure but try to take pictures of your case from the front and from an angle to get a view of the top, the side and the front in one picture like this:
BitFenix%20Ronin%20Case.jpg

It's very likely that you were getting an erroneous temperature reading when the base clock was overclocked via EASYTUNE. This is a known quirk when base clock overclocking the non-k Skylake CPUs.

Actually, I'm about 95% sure this was the problem, and NOT a real cooling issue.

It would be very easy to test my theory by nudging the base clock again.

bkpolister

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

im with you sir, i had to set everything to default to bring back the 65°c i was getting in to 44°c ... quite a difference huh?
thats why i sent gigabyte a support ticket, and anyway, the big problem was the thermalpaste my pc dndt had thermal paste..

TRENDING THREADS