i7-6700 vs i5-6600K: Did I make the right decision?

Khaleal

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Hello,

I'm upgrading to Skylake. I was about to buy an i5-6600k for 200$ + tax but got a good deal on i7-6700 (non-k) for $230 shipped (including tax). I went with the i7. Did I make the right decision?

I've also already bought an ASROCK Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 motherboard.

I mainly use this system for app development (hackintosh), and render some videos for youtube from time to time, and game when I have time.
I mainly play: Battlefield 3/4/HL, GTA V, Crysis 3, Fallout, The Witcher 3.
I currently have an R9 280X which can push 40+ fps on most of the games on high/very high settings. but I might upgrade to RX480/GTX1060/GTX1070.

Solution
For the gaming consider the GPU upgrade, but for 'sometimes' gaming I'd go for the GTX1060, the bigger GTX1070 has far more performance than you really need. For slightly lower performance (at reduced cost) a RX480 is a perfectly good alternative to the GTX 1060-your choice.
Like that i7, good choice for your needs and requirements, went the same route as you-i7 6700 (non 'K') plus 'Z' motherboard-no real need or requirement to overclock-but the 'Z' MB was only a few quid more than less well specced 'H' or 'B' series 'boards.

lakimens

Honorable
Doesn't matter what games you play, an i5-6600k will max out all games.
The i7 helps when you are working, the 4 extra threads help a lot.
You made the right decision.
Upgrade to RX480, it might not look like much now, but with Vulkan coming the RX480 will have a HUGE performance increase.
Google DOOM VULKAN VS DX12 or 1060 vs rx480 vulkan.

For the gaming consider the GPU upgrade, but for 'sometimes' gaming I'd go for the GTX1060, the bigger GTX1070 has far more performance than you really need. For slightly lower performance (at reduced cost) a RX480 is a perfectly good alternative to the GTX 1060-your choice.
Like that i7, good choice for your needs and requirements, went the same route as you-i7 6700 (non 'K') plus 'Z' motherboard-no real need or requirement to overclock-but the 'Z' MB was only a few quid more than less well specced 'H' or 'B' series 'boards.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS