Will my I5-2400 bottleneck my GTX 1070?

GAMER_1

Reputable
Feb 28, 2016
PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING!

I've been playing my games for a while now with this setup (I5- 2400, 16GB DDR3, GTX 1070, ext) and it's been playing very well.

I am now getting into video creation and benchmark (Bench-marking videos for the GTX 1070)

Now I've been noticing that some games get lower frame-rates then others (Doom being a more GPU bound title game me close too the same frame-rates as another, newer i5. But games like TF2 gave the same frame-rates like a 970.). 16GB of ram and the GTX 1070 shouldn't be the problem, its the CPU.

Now the i5-2400 still plays like a boss. But for video creation it's been slowing down my other components. Now even in gaming the CPU is lowering frame-rates. So now is the time to upgrade.

I've got $200 on hand. And been looking at the Skylake/Haswell processors. They seem much faster. But even an Ivy Bridge i7 can be found cheap.

So here's the question. I'm looking for another CPU for this beast of a card. I'm looking at i5 Skylake/Haswell processors or i7 Ivy Bridge processors. An Xeon wouldn't be bad too, just make sure its the Ivy Bridge line of processors or higher.

P.S. Please don't recommend a Zen processor. AMD isn't good for some programs on my system. Not only that, but I've been getting bad luck from all AMD products :(

Solution
you want to do video creation but you don't want an i7 because they are too expensive.
you want better FPS on your 1070 but don't want to spend the money on a new rig.

why don't you try getting a second hand i7 for your current motherboard? it will definitely help you out with both videos and gaming. you can also sell your i5-2400 a lot of people are still buying that platform specially for HTPCs

GAMER_1

Reputable
Feb 28, 2016

Well i know that. I have $200 for the CPU only. I'm willing to pay a little extra for those components. I will not buy a i7 though. Too much.

frank_hnd

Honorable
you want to do video creation but you don't want an i7 because they are too expensive.
you want better FPS on your 1070 but don't want to spend the money on a new rig.

why don't you try getting a second hand i7 for your current motherboard? it will definitely help you out with both videos and gaming. you can also sell your i5-2400 a lot of people are still buying that platform specially for HTPCs

Solution