Which 1070 do you prefer?

kr1kit

Honorable
May 22, 2016
So I have been debating upgrading to a 1070 from my current R9 390x and I'm having a hard time choosing between the models. I am leaning towards the EVGA 1070 FTW edition, as the reviews for it have been solid and it's currently on sale at NCIX for a good price compared to the rest.

I've been an MSI fan for a long time and my last two cards have both been MSI so I feel loyal to them, and as always their cards have gotten great reviews but it is about $60 more expensive than the EVGA FTW edition at the moment.

So what are your thoughts on the top 1070 card at the moment?

Solution
I have the ASUS ROG 1070 Strix O8Gb. it also remains at 65oC , I'm guessing the new chip is cooler and all cards will be around the same temp.
I was planning on getting an EVGA 1070 FTW but I decided on this one for only using 1x 8PIN connector and it asus bins the chips with this cards so they have the highest overclocks out of the box. mine boosts to 2022Mhz withouth overclocking anything.

Also personally I think this is one of the best looking cards atm, the EVGA was second place but that big sign put me off as well.

maugusto

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
in my modest opinion, if you already have a nice screen (with G-Sync and high resolution) and if you plan to use Virtual Reality, then go ahead, its a great starting card.
if none of those you can use, the only 38% more performance compared to the 390x (in the generam gaming testing) that is offered on the card is a waste of money, just keep the 390x

kr1kit

Honorable
May 22, 2016

I never mentioned my monitor nor did I mention VR use... I was asking which model of the 1070 do you folks prefer.

king3pj

Distinguished
I don't have any complaints about my Gigabyte G1 1070. I got it closer to launch and it was relatively cheap compared to most of the models back then at $430. Since then cheaper models have come out closer to $400 but, like the EVGA FTW, the G1 has some premium features like a custom PCB with more power phases, a nice backplate, and RGB LED lighting.

I also like the fact that my particular card boosts itself all the way up to 1985MHz without me even having to overclock it manually. That's well above the advertised boost speeds and close enough to the max overclock the 1070 is capable of (2.0-2.1GHz) that I haven't felt the need to overclock it myself. Plus the highest temp I have seen it hit is 65C. Coming from a SLI 970 setup that regularly hit 78-79C this is a big improvement.

That being said, my SLI 970s were both EVGA SC models and I had no complaints with those cards either. I was able to achieve a pretty decent overclock on them even in SLI and I never saw any signs of quality problems. If you found a great deal on the EVGA FTW model I think you would probably be happy with that purchase.

NukaB

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013
I'm not sure an upgrade from a 390X warrants the $400.

Anywho, I have owned an EVGA FTW card in the past. It had to be RMA'd however as a large majority of the cards were faulty upon release. That said, it was a brilliant card, and beat the 680 that the PCB was based off

frank_hnd

Honorable
I have the ASUS ROG 1070 Strix O8Gb. it also remains at 65oC , I'm guessing the new chip is cooler and all cards will be around the same temp.
I was planning on getting an EVGA 1070 FTW but I decided on this one for only using 1x 8PIN connector and it asus bins the chips with this cards so they have the highest overclocks out of the box. mine boosts to 2022Mhz withouth overclocking anything.

Also personally I think this is one of the best looking cards atm, the EVGA was second place but that big sign put me off as well.

Solution

frank_hnd

Honorable

I would choose the EVGA over the MSI card. It looks quite generic IMO. Even if it matches my Black/Red build perfectly, I don't really like it and its quite wide....

kr1kit

Honorable
May 22, 2016
Is there a reason why the MSI Gaming X is more expensive than the rest? At NCIX it's about $30 more than the EVGA FTW and about $80 more expensive than the ASUS Strix(non OC version).

frank_hnd

Honorable

no idea, EVGA FTW and Asus Strix are better cards.