Solution
Welcome to the TH Community, @Ulfsaar221!

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with the WD Black! I'd advise you to try swapping the SATA cable that is connecting the HDD to the motherboard and also check how it will perform from another SATA port as well. It might also be a good idea to check your mobo manufacturer's official website for any updates on the SATA controller & chipset drivers. While on it, I'd also suggest you see if you have the latest BIOS version installed.

Instead of chkdsk, I'd strongly recommend using our Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows as it would help us determine the health and SMART stats of the WD Black. Just make sure you run both the QUICK and EXTENDED tests.

If you have any important...
Welcome to the TH Community, @Ulfsaar221!

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with the WD Black! I'd advise you to try swapping the SATA cable that is connecting the HDD to the motherboard and also check how it will perform from another SATA port as well. It might also be a good idea to check your mobo manufacturer's official website for any updates on the SATA controller & chipset drivers. While on it, I'd also suggest you see if you have the latest BIOS version installed.

Instead of chkdsk, I'd strongly recommend using our Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows as it would help us determine the health and SMART stats of the WD Black. Just make sure you run both the QUICK and EXTENDED tests.

If you have any important data that is not backed up on the HDD, you should definitely copy it somewhere off-site before proceeding with the troubleshooting! Better safe than sorry, right? :)

Keep me posted.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Ulfsaar221

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016

Okay, I'm trying the Data LifeGuard Diagonstics now, I'm doing an extended scan right now. will keep you posted. :)

Ulfsaar221

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016
Update : I'm doing the extended test (haven't done the quick one yet) and the estimated time is 50 hours and rising!, Should I cancel? If not, Is it just going to tell me what's wrong or will it tell me what's wrong and fix it?

@SuperSoph_WD

Ulfsaar221

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016

Update : I'm doing the extended test (haven't done the quick one yet) and the estimated time is 50 hours and rising!, Should I cancel? If not, Is it just going to tell me what's wrong or will it tell me what's wrong and fix it aka : Scan and fix?

(Btw sorry for posting twice, I just didn't know if you'd get a notification if I posted something without replying directly to you)

Hey there again, @Ulfsaar221!

I do get notified about the threads I follow, regardless of the quote, but don't worry!
I'd definitely not advise you to interrupt the testing procedure. The EXTENDED test usually takes longer because it checks thoroughly the health state of the drive. I just hope you backed up all the data prior to starting the tests as they could put additional stress, if the HDD is failing.
Once the process is completed, update the thread with the SMART data results (You should click on view SMART data in the utility above the list of drives).

Another way to troubleshoot the WD Black would be to use the DOS verion of the software, but you will need to create a bootable flash drive with the utility first. It would allow you to run both tests without Windows OS interfering. However, it would still take time to run the Extended test.

Keep me posted with the results.
SuperSoph_WD

Ulfsaar221

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016
Still hasn't my question, Does the test actually fix the hard drive or just check it's health? And I will not use the DOS version, Sorry. I don't have that much time. Next thing after the test is completed is that i'm copying the smart Data results to this thread.

Ulfsaar221

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016

I'm indeed using windows 10 and Don't get me wrong, but I don't think so to be fully honest, a Huge company like Microsoft wouldn't really let a huge problem like this without any kind of fix, But still may I ask from whom did you get these
''News'' from?

Ulfsaar221

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016

So what do you recommend doing? Like it's becoming worse each and every dam day. Thank you bro.

Ulfsaar221

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016

Well, Now it's being really annoying 127 hours to complete and it's still going up, i'm going to cancel if it goes for 150 hours...
And i'm only using 300 GB from that 1TB Hard drive

Ulfsaar221

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016

Last question to you sir, Do you recommend cancelling the current test?

Hey there again and sorry for the late reply, @Ulfsaar221!

Unfortunately, @Wayfall is right, the test shouldn't take this long! I'd strongly recommend you check the warranty of your WD Black on our website. If it's still covered, you should definitely get in touch with our Customer Support and send your RMA request in order to be able to get a replacement.

I'd still advise you to try running both the QUICK and EXTENDED tests either through the DOS version of the software or through another computer. Either way, if the HDD doesn't pass them both, it has most probably failed.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have more questions.
SuperSoph_WD

Ulfsaar221

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016

Huge update, I switched the Sata cable connecting the motherboard to the hard drive and the computer is usable again, still the problem isn't fixed.