Why i5 6500 is better than FX 8320

Solution

cTigon

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
The reason is because of the architecture differences.

The FX lineup uses a very old architecture where the CPU cores (2 of them) share the same L3 Cache, therefore when you're playing a game (that doesn't use more than 4 cores like most games) then you will get the same performance as running 2 intel cores, thus bottlenecks occur. Also, FX 8xxx cores are very weak in performance compared to intel's. The new Skylake lineup offers a new architecture, thus better core efficiency and performance.

In multi-threaded applications the FX 8xxx lineup does hold up, but not by that much. When video rendering, you will get somewhat decent performance with the FX series but no where near an Intel processor that is Ivy Bridge and up.

Cem___

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016

Thanks for quick answer.Im going to make some changes to my pc.My budget is 600$.What shoulld i focus on

My build:

GPU: AMD R7 265 2X crossfire
CPU:AMD FX8320
MOBO:M5A99FX PRO 2.0
750W PSU
8 GB RAM

What do you use your PC for? If gaming grab a new video card, and call it a day. Your FX is not the greatest CPU, but it does alright and you'd see more improvement from a GPU upgrade than changing your CPU.

However, if you're looking to increase CPU performance (and do a lot of things other than gaming), an i5 6500 + cheap H170 or Z170 motherboard + 8-16GB DDR4 paired with a video card would be a nice improvement. At this point it's an entirely new PC though.

cTigon

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015

I highly, highly recommend to just switch out your Mobo and Processor. It'll save you TONS of headaches in the future. Besides you'll actually save money because you won't need a third party cooler as well as an expensive Mobo. I recommend you swap out for an i5 4460 with an ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard or similar; that'll give you pretty much the equivalent performance as an M5A99FX PRO R2.0.

Be sure not to cheap out the PSU either. 750W is good but a lower wattage, higher quality PSU outperforms.

Also if you can, don't go Crossfire. Instead just buy one GPU that is of equivalent power to two R7 265's. This will save on wattage as well as avoid crossfire compatibility issues and improve stability in general. I recommend an R9 270x or R9 280/380.

Solution

liamecrow

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Personally, I tend to look at scores for games I want to play. With both GPUs and CPU, side by side comparisons of specification can be misleading. AMD produces competent products, but intel can invest more money in R&D. It's been a while since AMD's processors have kept up with Intel's chips on a 'per core' basis. That being said, I feel perfectly fine recommending the AMD chips, and their pricing is always very competative, but with titles that are single threaded (less and less as time goes on), intel wins out. For gaming, in most scenarios the GPU is the bottleneck.

Cem___

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016

I mostly use for gaming,streaming

What if i go for i5 6500,RX 480 and a middle priced MOBO and get the rest later.A mid priced mobo can still work for me?

Cem___

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016

Thanks a lot again :).My last question is,in stores near me i only find these products

http://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/msi-rx-480-8gb-gddr5-256bit-amd-radeon-dx12-ekran-karti.html

There are some Rx470 are expensive and different design than this.What causes this?Whats the difference?

With Intel CPUs, you don't need an expensive motherboard. It's not like AM3+ where you can have instability from buying the wrong board - even the cheapest 1151 board can run the top-end 6700K without issues.

If streaming, it might be wise to go for an i7 6700 if your budget allows it, but an i5 6500 will still be a nice improvement over what you have.

My advice - get a cheap board that has 4 RAM slots and whatever connections you want on it, but don't spend more than maybe $80. Get the RX480 or a GTX 1060, depending on what you can find a deal on, 8-16GB DDR4, and either an i5 or i7 with whatever is left in your budget.

cTigon

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015

Usually it has to do with the third-party brand. What causes price fluctuations are the quality of cooler they have, and/or core clock improvements. Also it comes down to extra peripherals added, such as a backplate or anti-vapor wax, etc.

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
If your running 8320 already switching to intel it's a lot of $$$ for a meh.. 30% ish bump @ 3x the money? If your starting from scratch then Intel is the way to go, I beat my head to find a meaningful performance upgrade from my 8320@4200mhz and finally ended up building a BEAST on the cheap..

My dual cpu Xeon x5680 rig $35 out of pocket

KIMG0098.jpg

Old FX-8320
Passmark 9600
New Intel rig
Passmark 14000
Cinebench
Fx 650
Intel 1500
Media encoding
Fx 300 fps
Intel 1000+ fps