New 1060 no faster than my old 960

bongpig

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Hello all. I was hoping somebody could give me some advice.

Ive been gaming with a 960 for a while and wanted to upgrade, so I decided on a 1060. I mostly game on a 720p plasma and looking at the benchmarks for the 1060, I was expecting to be able to run most games at ultra settings, 60fps at 720p.

But to my surprise, the 1060 performs no better than my old 960. Ive been through all my games and seen no more than a 5fps improvement if im lucky. But generally, the numbers are the same. For example, Hitman: absolution scores:-

min: 55
max: 85

min:58
max:87

Ive tried Tomb Raider and Primal, but again they both show no noticable improvement.

The card I went for is:-
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno3d-geforce-gtx-1060-compact-x1-6144mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-06b-in.html

Granted, its the low frequency version but it should still give me a large improvement if the online bechmarks are to be believed. This test: http://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1060-review/ - suggests I should be seeing at least a 50% boost over the 960.

I completely uninstalled the old drivers and disabled windows update to be sure W10 isnt interfering. Im very confused!

Can any of you shed any light on why this is happening? Are the online benches wrong and I shouldn't be seeing much of an improvement over my old 960? At this point its not worth keeping. I cant say ive ever been so disappointed with an upgrade.

Solution
Figured I should update this thread. Turns out I was suffering with a CPU bottle neck. So the 1060 was performing no better than the 960 as it was waiting on the CPU. I got hold of a used 4670k and boosted it up to 4.2ghz. Problems gone. I got a pretty impressive boost in performance. In some cases as much as 30%.

So there you go. Hope this might help somebody at some point.

bongpig

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Oops... sorry:

mb: MSI H81M-E35-V2
cpu: i5 4460
ssd: 2 x 120GB SSD
ram: 8gb Hyper X Fury 1600mhz

I appreciate that these are not the best specs, but more than good enough for 720 gaming. Even if there was a bottleneck somewhere, its still mighty weird that im not seeing any improvement at all.

bongpig

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Temps are good. Very good in fact. My CPU has never gone above 70c even at full load for 1 hour. I have a very cool case.

Its a pure gaming PC. Gets used for absolutely nothing but games. So im confident its not a software conflict.

I cant help but feel there is something up with the driver install. I did a total uninstall of both drivers and geforce experience. Swapped cards. Reinstalled GFE and let that find the driver for me. I selected "clean install" as well. Did everything by the book. The performance is so close to the 960 its honestly like ive simply put another 960 in there. Even a 15fps improvement I would consider worth it.

Im a sad sad boy. :(

bongpig

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Most online benchmarks are for 1080. Im gaming at 720. Looking at those benches you just sent ( thanks for that! ) for Primal, for example, its suggesting a 71fps average at 1080. Im barely getting that at 720. I was expecting at least 80-90fps at my res with this upgrade. But its almost exactly the same as my 960, which was getting around 70fps average on Primal at 720p.

maugusto

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
try to reset the game config properties, they might locked on your previous gpu config, if this don't solve the problem maybe is time to put a new system, because the rest of the hardware is a bit crappy for that gpu

bongpig

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Cheers for the tip. I was under the impression that a clean driver install would wipe any previous configs. When you say "reset the game config", can you elaborate a bit please? Thanks.

Also, I understand my system is a bit crap! But again, at 720, I should see some improvement. Im not naive enough to expect double the speed of my 960, as many benches are suggesting. A 20% increase would do. But im not even getting that.

bongpig

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Gave that a go. But all the game profiles are at default global settings. So the "restore" button is greyed out.

thanks for the effort form you here. I really appreciate it. :)

Do you think an uninstall with DDU might help?

bongpig

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Figured I should update this thread. Turns out I was suffering with a CPU bottle neck. So the 1060 was performing no better than the 960 as it was waiting on the CPU. I got hold of a used 4670k and boosted it up to 4.2ghz. Problems gone. I got a pretty impressive boost in performance. In some cases as much as 30%.

So there you go. Hope this might help somebody at some point.

Solution