Will an Rx 460 bottleneck an i7

Mike3k24

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016
My family is buying a family computer, and I wanted to add a little graphics card to it. We decided on this i7 build but I wanted to know if the 460 will show any signs of a bottleneck when playing some high end games like Witcher and GTA

Solution
No offense, but the OP didn't ask advice on his build, he just wants to know if the 460 will be a bottleneck, and the answer is not really.

Mike, just go with the highest GPU you can afford, anything you get is gonna "bottleneck" the i7, and it sounds like you chose the 460, which would be a good call if you want a cheap card for some light gaming.

gervino

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
It will not bottleneck the i7, but in gaming the videocard will be the bottleneck. I'm guessing it's a 6th gen i7 that you're going to buy since it's a new PC which have no problems with modern games, but the vid card won't be maxing the witcher and gta but will run them fine though.

I wouldn't necessarily consider the 460 to be a bottleneck, I'm assuming this is a Skylake i7 considering the fact that you are buying it now. The Skylake i7 will handle any graphics card just fine, so technically, in most cases, the gpu will be the "bottleneck" of your system, even if you're running a single 1080.

However, if you intend to run high end games on highest settings and get 60fps in 1080p(correct me if you want something different here), then the 460 will not be the right card. If you are okay with dumbing down the graphics a little to get decent framerates, then yeah, the 460 would be a good card.

If you have the money, go for an rx 480 or a gtx 1060 over the 460, you'll be much happier with the results.

_JakeDavies

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
NO, if its a Skylake or Haswell i7 then no it will not bottleneck an RX460 xD It's better to have a GPU bottleneck than a CPU bottleneck. The i7 won't do much work when gaming, it won't break a sweat when paired with an RX460. Is the PC pre-built? Make sure you have enough PSU juice before just "adding a little graphics card" to it

Mike3k24

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016

Well it's not really a "gaming" PC more of a family PC but I'll occasionally be playing games on it which is why I decided to add a nice small graphics card. And yes to answer it is a skylake i7 we chose it because my family does so much multitasking because of their jobs so they have 5-10 tabs open usually.

i7 isn't a gaming CPU, it has a wide variety of uses including heavy multitasking, video editing, rendering, etc etc.

And if the build is just for some light gaming, then the 460 probably isn't a bad route to go, assuming that card is at the top of your budget, you're not getting any better for the price.

Mike3k24

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016

Will it be able to handle a crap ton of tabs at a fast speed?

No offense, but the OP didn't ask advice on his build, he just wants to know if the 460 will be a bottleneck, and the answer is not really.

Mike, just go with the highest GPU you can afford, anything you get is gonna "bottleneck" the i7, and it sounds like you chose the 460, which would be a good call if you want a cheap card for some light gaming.

Solution

Mike3k24

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016

Thank you!

Mike3k24

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016

Interesting. But we've kinda already decided on the i7.