i7 3820 3.6GHz Suddenly Running Very Hot - Fan Fine

Barns

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
I have an i7 3820 3.6GHz CPU and it is suddenly running at between 60 and 80 deg C both when completely idle and when under stress. This is according to both MSI Afterburner and BIOS, although SpeedFan, for some reason, says it's only at 40 deg C ish...

This seems to have coincided with the recent "anniversary" update of Windows 10 but I can't be definite about that.

I thought it may be a driver problem so, even though such things never caused my anything but grief in the past, I tried the latest version of Driver Booster as well as Wise Care 365 since they were glowingly praised on majorgeeks which has always been a solid source of safe information on such things. That only made things worse so I rolled back to before that.

However, the problem persists.

I do, admittedly, live in a hot, tropical country and the PC is in a closed bedroom environment (mainly to stop the mozzies and flies from annoying the hell out of me!), so the ambient temperature is 30-40 deg C nearly all the time and maybe a bit more by the end of the day with the PC on all day.

The CPU has an after-market Cooler Master CPU cooler on it, although the original side fan on the vents packed up and I couldn't get an original one here so it has a bog-standard fan plugged directly into a 4-pin power cable on it now. However, when I first replaced the fan, it was fine and ran in the low 50 deg Cs when under stress which is fine. The fan on it now is running absolutely fine and at full RPM all the time and I've cleaned out all the dust etc, of which there is always plenty here, from the cooler fins.

I have disabled everything to do with overclocking the CPU in BIOS (disabled TurboBoost etc) and turned the power plan to "Power Saver" in Windows, but it still runs at 60-70 when idle and 70-80+ when in use and I've only been playing very, very low-spec games recently.

In Task Manager, the CPU is only at 1-5% when idle so it's unlikely to be malware or a bitcoin miner and such-like. I think anyway, I'm pretty good with PCs and built the rig myself but nowhere near an expert so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've also downloaded the latest chipset driver stuff from Asus and installed it.

Is there anything I can do to cool it further? Could it just be a problem with the CPU itself since it's been used a hell of a lot in a hot environment for over 2 years now?

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
GPU: Nvidia GTX980 (which runs at normal temperature despite the layers of dust!)
RAM: 24 GB of assorted sticks
CPU: i7 3820 3.6GHz

Any other info needed, just ask.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barns

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

I did that when I changed the fan from the original to the current bog-standard one and that was only a few weeks ago, maybe 5-6 weeks, can't remember, so I hope that's not the problem. I hate doing that lol.

All the guides make out that one tiny mistake could ruin the whole thing although I'm sure it's not that critical or there'd be a hell of a lot more burnt-out CPUs out there!

I did the X with four dots method in the end and, as I say, it was fine straight after that...

If I can't find another solution then I'll bite the bullet and try that again but I'll exhaust other possibilities first.

Thanks mate.

Latest posts