r9 380 ideal temps

mauhjt2007

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Hi folks,

Just bought a new card, and was wondering what some good temps are to try and maintain. I'm trying to get a bit more opinion on either: using the fans to keep the GPU cooler, and so using the fans up sooner but saving the GPU; or letting it run hotter, using less of the fans but potentially shortening life-span.

Idle Temps: If I let the card just sit there, no fans on it'll get to around 55 degrees celsius. (i've currently got the card keeping itself at 42 degrees idle, at 40% fan speed). Is 55 degrees ok to let it idle at? In peoples experience, would that affect the longevity of the card?

Gaming temps: I haven't downloaded the various programs to run the GPU at full whack, however Witcher 3 seems to use it quite well - it seems to use 100% of the GPU quite often. I let it get to around 58 degrees with the fans at around 60%.

The problems I have is that the fans are quite noisy, so i'd like to use them as little as possible, but still maintaining safe temps, in order to keep the card running as long as possible.

So in short, is 55 celsius a safe idle temp and does it affect longevity?
what temp would you say is safe for the card when it's under load?

Thanks in advance guys and girls,
Dave

Solution
58 C for gaming is very nice temps. You must have very nice airflow (or looking in your inventory very often :D). Strange thing is I get around 50 during idle (passive cooling) and around 70 during gaming (60% fans in witcher 3).

55 C is safe temp, it affects the gpu's lifespan theoretically. In real life, where you will use your gpu 2-5 years, probably no.
Personally, I consider temps under 80 C for safe temps.

Iceman21

Respectable
May 3, 2016
58 C for gaming is very nice temps. You must have very nice airflow (or looking in your inventory very often :D). Strange thing is I get around 50 during idle (passive cooling) and around 70 during gaming (60% fans in witcher 3).

55 C is safe temp, it affects the gpu's lifespan theoretically. In real life, where you will use your gpu 2-5 years, probably no.
Personally, I consider temps under 80 C for safe temps.

Solution