RX 480 4gb or a GTX 1060 3gb and their price in my country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagara111

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
Basically from what i'm experiencing (display freezing and such) is that my GPU is gonna die soon.

I'm from the Philippines and basically every part here is overpriced.
What i want to ask is, should i get a rx 480 4gb for 11500 PHP (248 USD)
Or a GTX 1060 3gb for 10000 PHP (215 USD)'

The rx 480 is by the way is a Sapphire RX 480 NITRO+ OC 4gb (2 fans, not the reference edition)

and the gtx 1060 one is a Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 3GB GDDR5(worth noting that its a 1 fan gpu and i'm in a tropical country so i don't know if that would make my GPU overheat) .

so basically, is it worth it to spent 30 more USD for an RX 480 over a gtx 1060?

Specs are

i5 4690 (212 evo)
Seasonic M12-II 620w
8 gb ram
gtx 760

Thanks!
sorry for any wrong grammar or spelling, english isn't my first language.

Solution
^ yes I'm an amd fanboy with 2 systems running 970's !

The 970s have aged badly , in retrospect 290/x's would have been better as they've aged significantly better.
I picked the 970 due to form factor & power draw for very small builds though (something amd have never been great at) so it was a necessary choice.

You've just realised the 3gb has been crippled somewhat more than necessary?? I thought it was common knowledge .
A 480 vs a 1060 6gb is a viable argument, vs the 3gb is just not IMO.
The 4gb 480 loses virtually nothing performance wise to the 8gb model & a sapphire twin fan nitro vs a single fan zotac , the sapphirebia always going to win on cooling , build quality & cooling performance irregardless of what gpu it actually...

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

If you Check DX12 Tomb Raider you will see that GTX 1060 is faster .

Doom is better on AMD from Vulkan and hitman an AMD game all the time

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Typical vNidia fanboy.

That is for the 6GB version of the GTX1060. You cannot claim that the 3GB version is faster than the 4GB RX480 if there is no benchmarks to support your claim.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

are you finished ?

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Yes !

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Sapphire 480 4GB no question about it, totally agree with GR1M_ZA
the 1060 3GB is a scam. Should be called 1055 or less. If you can find the Sapphire Nitro 470 4GB and save some bucks, do it. It's very close to the 480 and it draws less power and so less heat.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

3gb of vram is not going to magically increase performance, the 1060 is faster

or would you pick a 4gb gtx 750 ti over a 2gb gtx 960?

XD

4745454b

Titan
Did some checking. There are two differences between the 1060 cards. One is obvious, the other less so. The obvious one is the missing memory of course. But Nvidia also loped off one group of shaders, so the 3GB version is missing 10% of the processing power of the 6GB version. Because of this I can see it being called the 1050 or the 1055 if they have a 1050 planned. I did find a review of the 3GB vs the R9 4xx cards.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-6gb-review

To be honest I'm not sure how much I believe this review. In the AMD favored AotS which Nvidia always loses in ever review I've ever seen, the 1060 3GB splits the two versions of the R9 480. Some games the 1060 3GB wins like Crysis 3 or ACU, while other games it loses like Hitman. Many times they are similar performing. You'll never notice the difference between 55 and 54FPS. From this one possibly sketchy review I'd call it a wash and suggest the one that performs best in the game you play, or the cheapest one. There is a slight power advantage to the 1060, but a difference of ~50W isn't much either.

NextGenLifeHD

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

Everything about this shows fanboy

NextGenLifeHD

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

This is alarming news, as I like others assumed that the 3GB Version would have the same amount of Shader Processing Units, and that the loss of VRAM is the only change. It is also well known that AMD Cards perform better in Ashes of the Singularity and Hitman, as these are heavily supported by AMD. In conclusion, pick whichever card performs adequately in your desired game

4745454b

Titan
Hitman results are "right", but the AotS results don't seem to show a big lead for AMD. Which makes me question the results of the testing. I was in another thread and just found this.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1060-gaming-x-3gb-review,1.html

I haven't gone through it yet, so not sure what it says. Looking at the AotS results it shows it performing as well as the 480. So the earlier chat may be right.

^ yes I'm an amd fanboy with 2 systems running 970's !

The 970s have aged badly , in retrospect 290/x's would have been better as they've aged significantly better.
I picked the 970 due to form factor & power draw for very small builds though (something amd have never been great at) so it was a necessary choice.

You've just realised the 3gb has been crippled somewhat more than necessary?? I thought it was common knowledge .
A 480 vs a 1060 6gb is a viable argument, vs the 3gb is just not IMO.
The 4gb 480 loses virtually nothing performance wise to the 8gb model & a sapphire twin fan nitro vs a single fan zotac , the sapphirebia always going to win on cooling , build quality & cooling performance irregardless of what gpu it actually is.

Warranty wise too the sapphire has removable fans, if they fail for some reason then sapphire will just send out new fans with no need to RMA the whole card.
The nitro is a very well designed card, premium feature set with a budget price tag.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
the 480 is better,plain fact,end of argument !...Everything about this shows fanboy

Let me dig out that mod hat, ah ha! Found it. Madmatt, this is not your dictatorship. Nextgen, This isn't a site, or at least when I'm around, a place where you can call people names. I don't normally do public warnings but seeing as it's that type of thread and I'm sure you won't be the only one to do it, KNOCK IT OFF. There is no need to call people names, nor is there a reason to ignore all evidence and without providing your own call the provided evidence nonsense and claim you are right and everyone else is wrong. If you want to talk about cards that's great, but keep the childish behavior out of it please.

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Nevertheless, Madmatt is totally right. The 480 is the card to choose over the 1060 3GB. It's not a dictatorship, it's a fact. For all the reasons he exposed in his later post.
If he was an AMD fanboy, I would know :D
Oh, I have a 470 Nitro, and I can testify of its quality built.

Just to add (im no the first or last to say this) nvidia have been distinctly underhand with their naming conventions,the 1060 3gb should have been released as the 1050 as its comparitively to the 1060 what the 950 was to the 960.

Its essentially the difference between say the rx 470 & 480 - amd have the decency to name their cards completely differently though.

A trick to catch consumers out ?? who knows,there are plainly people who dont know of the dropped shader count though & while it doesnt seem to distract massively from performance versus the fully fledged model it may well do in the future.
Like I said before nvidia cards have a tendency to become old before their time the last few generations - I certainly wouldnt buy a card with less than 4gb vram from this point onwards.

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Not mentioning how talkative the Nvidia drivers are... The amount of private information that is being sent to Nvidia is... well that's a real lot. Doesn't change the hardware of the card, but if people knew about that, maybe they would think twice before getting one.

4745454b

Titan
WHY is it the card to get. There is no problem with saying/thinking X card is better then Y. But link a benchmark or state why. I already posted one showing similar/equal performance. The reason the 480 is better then the 1060 3GB is because of a better naming scheme? Serious? The 3GB 1060 should be priced similar to the 480 depending on model, and the TDP is probably a touch lower as well.

I agree they should have should have done more to show there is a difference in shader count between the 3 and 6GB version. But like with the 970, if you look at the performance of the card then you have to be impressed. It can outperform the R9 480, even with one disabled shader group and half the ram of the 6GB version.

Edit: I just reread the first post and he's from the Philippines. You seriously want him to spend more money for a card that mostly loses to a cheaper one?

Status
Not open for further replies.