RX 470 XFX GTR BE or Nitro+

Hakinator

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Hello,

Please I need Helo choosing the right GC for my new rig.

As my budget is tight - 240€ absolute maximum, the best card I can get for exactly that is RX 470 4gb as I am gonna use 2560x1080 freesync monitor - LG 29um68.

I am torn between XFX GTR Black edition and Sapphire Nitro+ OC. I like the full black metal backplate used on the XFX but I am kinda scared of the 6pin connector and I've heard it is quite noisy. Sapphire has .. well not so bad looking backplate but it is plastic and I've read that at least on the 480 it is the worst cooler of all.

I care about aesthetics a lot btw as my case nzxt s340. Otherwise I would never pick anything else but MSI as they make the best cards. Unfortunately no backplate ..

In reviews I've seen rx 470 draw around 220 in peak gaming and above 300 when overclocked. It seems rx 470 are good overclockers reaching above 1400mhz.

So .. do you have personal experience? What would you recommend. I have rx 460 right now, thought it could handle the games I play but I am not gonna play WoW on medium/high to stay at 60fps when it is 10 yo. Gonna return that crap :D

My build is:
I5 6600k 4.7ghz at 1.35V
Nzxt kraken x41
Corsair LPX using 15-15-15-28 3200mhz ddr4 16gb
Asrock fatality gaming k6
Evga supernova 650 GS plus gold
Samsung EVO ssd 240gb

Thanks a lot.

Solution
Then deffo get the XFX. I did not know their fans are removable, thanks for sharing!

Their temps should be very similar, so get the card that best complements the looks of your case. You will not regret buying the XFX.

Hakinator

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Well I live in the Czech Republic so it would be 20£ more for shipping not to mention the prize is already higher than 240€. Also I have no interest in buying gtx 1060 as with freesync rx 470 outshines it hard. Not to mention I am never gonna support NVIDIA again :) did so many times, always a mistake.

Thanks for your opinion tho :) but as I said ... There are only these two cards I am gonna buy, nothing else. I am leaning towards XFX as it is better rated company with better looking card (and option to buy better fans with LED for themes cases etc)

Cheers!

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
LOL, my bad! I have no idea why I thought you are from the UK!

OK, between the XFX and Sapphire I would go for the Sapphire as the fans are removeable/replaceable and Sapphire has amazing after-market support. Where did you read that the Sapphire cooler is the worse?

However, getting the XFX is also a great option. I have an old XFX in my second PC and it still runs strong 6 years later!

I have seen results on the ASUS rx470 Strix, and that cooler is terrible as there is no provision for cooling the VRAM modules.

On benchmarks Powercolor actually had the best performance: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_rx_470_4gb_review_powercolor,1.html

Hakinator

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Well XFX also has removable fans and there is no powercolor rx 470/480 here. I am already waiting for months so I cannot wait any more. I just want to play already :D especially when I just got the "new" Tomb Raider. And Mafia 3 is coming out soon.

Only rx 470/480 here are Sapphire and XFX.

XFX also has 3+2 years warranty.

I am really just torn between these two in terms of power consumption, noise, build quality, temperatures etc. at the same peak performance. Also my case theme is Black And Red so Nitro+ does not exactly fit in it. Tho my case is white, it looks like the card is silver.

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
Then deffo get the XFX. I did not know their fans are removable, thanks for sharing!

Their temps should be very similar, so get the card that best complements the looks of your case. You will not regret buying the XFX.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS