Help with 1080 sli pc build?

Solution
looks good. 4k 144hz wont be around for a while. at that point you'll need a complete gpu upgrade, possibly including cpu just to run 144hz at 4k. newer graphics cards are starting to push ahead of what cpus are capable of these days. otherwise stick with the two 1080s and 1440p and dont worry about it for a couple years.

pigeoncracker

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
Dual 1080 with 1440p? The 1080 by itself will preform fine at 1440p without a second card to back it up. A 1060 will run most games at 1440p at max settings, so I don't see why the top of the line wouldn't.

I'd drop the second 1080, keep the current parts that you have--except for the 240mm radiator. It's not going to fit in that case. Either switch the case or go for an air cooler. A good one, like the Noctua NH-D14, will keep that temp just fine for you, even when overclocking. Use the extra cash for a good mouse, keyboard, headset, anything else you need.

Getting a non-reference card is going to bring the temps down and the performance up.

nice build, i approve. just one comment down below (my third comment).

i'm pretty partial to evga's cards. they overclock pretty well, keep cool and have the best customer support. i have the FTW edition with a better power phase, which makes a difference when overclocking. the rgb lights are a plus too.

144hz monitor... two 1080s are perfect.

wish i could afford a second one for my 144hz ROG.

pigeoncracker

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

Eh, it devolves into preference at that point. I'd rather use the extra cash for something else than staying at a constant 144hz, since I don't mind the dips from 130 to 80 or so. To be truthful, I though it was a 1440p 60hz monitor (even though the thing is literally glaring me in the face), so two 1080s would be nice. I want a 1080 in general now, I still glare at my friend xP

Little me with his 960 skulking in the corner.

looks good. 4k 144hz wont be around for a while. at that point you'll need a complete gpu upgrade, possibly including cpu just to run 144hz at 4k. newer graphics cards are starting to push ahead of what cpus are capable of these days. otherwise stick with the two 1080s and 1440p and dont worry about it for a couple years.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS