FX-8350 and AMD R9 280

leond151

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I am thinking of buying the FX-8350 and AMD R9 280, and was wondering if they would run the witcher 3 at high. i also wanted to make sure they would not bottleneck each other thxs.

Solution
well if you slightly overclock the 8350, youll have no bottlenecks whatsoever.... but i wouldnt suggest you buy the 8350... its outdated and zen is coming is 6 months which will performs close to intell broadwell-e high end chips

while 280x is a great card, it falls short at tesselation performance which is essential for smooth performance in nvidia gameworks titles ... the rx480 will fulfill those needs giving you a 60fps 1080p experience on a budget.. i suggest you buy that...

when you buy a computer , you expect it to last a couple of years (performance wise) and it seems you are on a tight budget... so i suggest you wait untill zen comes out....

you could buy intel i5 or i7 but since their monopoly right now on the cpu market...
well if you slightly overclock the 8350, youll have no bottlenecks whatsoever.... but i wouldnt suggest you buy the 8350... its outdated and zen is coming is 6 months which will performs close to intell broadwell-e high end chips

while 280x is a great card, it falls short at tesselation performance which is essential for smooth performance in nvidia gameworks titles ... the rx480 will fulfill those needs giving you a 60fps 1080p experience on a budget.. i suggest you buy that...

when you buy a computer , you expect it to last a couple of years (performance wise) and it seems you are on a tight budget... so i suggest you wait untill zen comes out....

you could buy intel i5 or i7 but since their monopoly right now on the cpu market ,their prices are abusrdly high so buying intel is not an optimal option right now...

tip : never buy an i3....

Solution
AMD's CPUs are priced about how they perform; a Core i3 outperforms an FX-8350 in most games, but loses in heavily multithreaded programs, and costs a bit less, while the 6-core FX-6300 loses in just about everything to a Core i3 6100, and as such is a little cheaper.

The i3 6100 is pretty much the ideal chip for a low-cost gaming system right now.

the 6300 and 8350 are 20-25% slower when compared single core to the i3 6100

but fx chips are unlocked and can be overclocked to match/slightly beat the i3 6100

no one buys fx chips and run them at stock speeds.... cmon buddy :)

Good point, blacksheep123;
your FX-6300 is overclocked to 4.1, some 17%.
Applying that to the stock passmark rating of 1408 gives the equivalent of a single thread rating of 1649.
Compare that to the i3-6100 single thread rating of 2102 and you can see why the i3-6100 is so good in games that are cpu limited and single threaded.

And... overclocking FX chips needs a better than average motherboard like your 990FX
skylake can run on the cheapest $50 h110 motherboard.

Some types of games, notably multiplayer games with lots of participants can do really well with 6 or 8 cores.
I have seen few attempts to quantify this because of the difficulty on generating a repeatable test.

Sorry, not the case.

AMD itself uses Cinebench to compare their CPUs to Intel's (see the Zen thread), so they clearly consider it a fair benchmark.

Synthetic_03.png

At stock clocks, an FX-8320e's 8 cores have 25% more throughput than the i3 6100's 2 cores. Against an FX-6300 (not in that chart), an i3 6100 actually beats its 6 cores (at stock) in multithreaded performance with just 2 cores. Single-threaded performance stock vs stock has the i3 at 75% faster, and even with a 4.6ghz OC, the i3 still has a 45% advantage.

EDIT: And given that most games heavily utilize 1-2 threads, and lightly utilize 1-2 more, an i3 has close to the perfect balance to perform well in them.