RX 480 (8g) vs GTX 1060 (6g) ?

DARKMELON

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
i would like to upgrade my pc (obviously to play BF! on ulte settings), my pc have an fx 6300, 8g ram, 600w ,an msi 970 gaming and a gtx 950, so as you can deduct i would like to change my gpu, but i dont know which of this to graphics card is better, the RX 480 or the gtx 1060

Solution
Sinking that kind of money into an fx platform when you already own a 6300 would just be a waste of money.
If your board is decent by all accounts buy an aftermarket cooler for $20-30 & overclock it but not worth spending more than that.

TechBloke

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2016
Some have said rx 480 for when dx12 and vulkan become the norm but I think there will be another gpu upgrade before then. gtx 1060 is ahead in dx 11 and draws less power. I'd say go for 1060. Also I doubt the extra 2gb will ever come into play before the next upgrade cycle.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

anything better than a gtx 960 would be bottlenecked by your processor

especially if you dont overclock

1060 > 480

A sweeping generalisation that just doesnt ring true on a lot of newer titles
I could name half a dozen offhand that can hit 60 fps with a 6300 & where a 960 would hold them back at ultra to mid 40's.
A better card than the 960 is an absolutely viable option nowadays.

DARKMELON - While I hve stated the above it is absolutely true that your cpu will be the limiter on fps over either of these 2 cards.
Therefore Id steer you to simply buying the cheaper option with the better cooling system.
A 4gb 470 would also be an absolutely viable buy if its substantially cheaper

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

how many newer games are there where the 6300 would not bottleneck a 1060 or 480

honestly from what I have seen benchmark wise the 6300 struggles to maintain ~40 - ~50 fps in the majority of newer games

DARKMELON

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

how about changing the fx 6300 with an fx 8350?

Sinking that kind of money into an fx platform when you already own a 6300 would just be a waste of money.
If your board is decent by all accounts buy an aftermarket cooler for $20-30 & overclock it but not worth spending more than that.

Solution

AceNL

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
You should upgrade your CPU to a skylake (I3-I5-I7) Since that FX 6300 won't really be able to keep up with the strong power of a RX 480 of the GTX 1060 if you really want a graphics card with that processor get a GTX 750TI or 960.

AceNL

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
And the GTX 1060 cons are: It has shadowplay, It's stronger in its own ways (DirectX etc.)
I myself since im not a really rich person would get the RX 480 since its cheaper and still has quite the performance.

Seriously??
Just no,the 750ti was aslways a weak card,the 960 is showing its age fast - no one should buy an older gen card like the 960 unless they find one incredibly cheap & are on an incredibly tight budget.
Ive been running a gtx 970 for 2 years with an fx 6300 - at 60 htz its always performed admirably,the cpu has barely ever held it back for the game types I play,the last few months have produced titles where the 970 has become the limit on performance in my system now.(graphically At least)

examples
No Mans Sky
Rise Of The Tomb Raider
Project Cars
Witcher 3
The Division
Farcry Primal
Fallout 4

The 6300 (admittedly mine is overclocked ) never drops below mid 50's for these titles,to maintain that kind of fps I have to run high graphics settings rather than ultra - that instantly points to a gpu rather than a cpu bottleneck.

Yes the 6300 has performance limits,but not to the extent that you should instantly stick to a lower tier card because put simply another year down the line something like the 960 wont cut it at all.
Historically nvidia cards performance declines rapidly once a new gen is released,amd card for the last 3 gens have held up much much better performance wise.

DARKMELON - whether your current cpu will do what you want depends entirely on the game types you play & what monitor your running.
If you have no interest in the total war series,arma ,rust, or ark survival you will ALWAYS get playable fps as long as youre running a 60htz screen & are not in seach of higher max fps than that .
90% of games a 6300 will run at 60 fps solid,5% will run at a minimum of 50fps,3% may hit mid 40's,2% (many of the mmporg's,total war,arma engine games,& some independant freee world titles - like rust & ark) may run like absolute **** some of the time
That cannot be helped,its as much t do with poor coding as it is to do with the fx chips.

What an fx cpu will never ever do well is push much past that 60fps mark - if you have intentions of running a 100htz screen it will leave you sorely disappointed.

kansaw

Respectable
Jul 23, 2016
I run a AMD FX Quad Black Edition with an RX480 8GB and my games must be GPU based because they all run fast and smooth. Some even run in medium settings at 4k. Don't think a FX6300 is going to be a problem with newer GPU based games especially with new DirectX 12 GPUs like the RX480.