Is $368.96 a good deal for a new R9 Nano?

Solution
Before you buy that. What card do you have right now? I wouldnt buy 400 bucks for something old even if the new stuff is overpriced right now. I rather wait a couple of weeks or months and use 400 bucks to get a card that will handle 3-4 years no problem. Not saying nano will have problems, but its not as good as 1070. Just wait a bit. For example, i got an i5-2500k + 8gb ram + asus pro motherboard. for 80 bucks. Thats something i would buy old, but a 400 bucks card? tooo much for me.

yobdab

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Before you buy that. What card do you have right now? I wouldnt buy 400 bucks for something old even if the new stuff is overpriced right now. I rather wait a couple of weeks or months and use 400 bucks to get a card that will handle 3-4 years no problem. Not saying nano will have problems, but its not as good as 1070. Just wait a bit. For example, i got an i5-2500k + 8gb ram + asus pro motherboard. for 80 bucks. Thats something i would buy old, but a 400 bucks card? tooo much for me.

Solution
The GTX1070 is about 25% faster with more video memory.

4GB is fine for most games, but is already starting to be not quite enough for a few titles and the future is uncertain. Having said that, if you are comfortable with monitoring VRAM usage and tweaking settings such as anti-aliasing you can get around this for demanding games.

The R9 nano will likely make up some of this performance gap in DX12 titles due to its superior ACE architecture, however the amount is uncertain. Perhaps a gain of 10% vs NVidia in some titles (relatively, so not as fast as GTX1070).. we'll have to wait.

(The RX-480 architecture is slightly tweaked so "better" but does not offer a Polaris GPU that is fast enough to compete yet, such as an RX-490 which is coming soonish?)

If considering VR I'd go with NVidia. Their SMP architecture improves performance in supported games by up to 1.6X, but I've not heard what AMD offers. Lower than this I'm certain.

So...
There's no wrong answer really. You should be happy with either solution.

RX-480 vs R9-Nano:

The RX-480 averages the R9-390, but varies between 80% and 120% of that card. Since the R9-Nano is roughly 10% faster than the R9-390, this means the RX-480 can actually beat or match the R9-390 in some newer titles.

I'm uncertain if those big drops have been improved at all with new drivers. I can't find info on that, so I'll assume no.

The RX-480 however has 8GB cards, a few features (HEVC, HDR, bandwidth to monitor) improvements, and the GCN architecture is a bit better (hence the performance improvement vs R9-390 in newer titles) and probably does better in VR than the R9-Nano.

*So their are pros and cons to this card, but a 4GB model is $250 and an 8GB model starts at $280.

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

I have an HD 7950