i5-6500 vs i5-6600K vs i7-6700K

apisorder

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I am choosing between 3 Intel Skylake processors, i5-6500, i5-6600K and i7-6700K.

The i5-6500 has a base clock of 3.2Ghz and a turbo boost up to 3.6Ghz, the i5-6600K has a base clock of 3.5Ghz and a turbo boost up to 3.9Ghz and i7-6700K has a base clock of 4.0Ghz and a turbo boost up to 4.2Ghz.

To be most CPU & power efficient, is it better to have the highest base clock, or the shortest range of turbo boost?

My understanding is that with turbo boost, more power is drawn (more heat too) so it's best to choose one with the highest base clock. But how can i7-6700K be more power efficient than i5-6500 and i5-6600K, even with no overclock?

But someone also said to me that the CPU with the smallest range of turbo boost is the most efficient. Is that true? That makes sense somewhat, but then how come the turbo boost range is so narrow on i7-6700K? Is it because it's already so hot that its turbo boost can only go up 5% of its base clock? But then, isn't this a K processor, ripe for overclocking? (If it's already dissipating so much heat, isn't it better to overclock an i5-6600K?)

And someone also said to me, the turbo boost of i5-6600K is 3.9Ghz, just a few hundred mhz shy of i7--6700K's base and turbo boost, so their overclocking capability should be very similar. Also because the i5-6600K is cooler, so can overclock more. Is that really true? Then why is the i7 slightly more expensive, for its bigger cache and hyper threading?

Thanks.

Solution

A 4590 is no slouch, it should perform pretty well for gaming and be more than enough for casual use (don't have experience with Photoshop, can't comment on how it'd perform there). If your system was performing poorly, it probably wasn't because of your CPU.

There are plenty of reviews/benchmarks out there to compare performance between the two. Techpowerup's reviews include graphs comparing average relative...

SBennett13

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

This gets tricky real quick. The 6500 cannot be pushed to overclock further than the advertised boost clock. Any processor with a 'k' at the end "the 6600k and 6700k" can be overclocked past the factory boost clock. The computation power of an i7 will not be close to met by an i5. Keeping that in mind, overclocking the 6600k could get similar or even higher boost speeds than that of the 6700k. The 6700k will still be more efficient due to the hyper threading and the larger caches. What are you going to be using this computer for if you don't mind me asking.

Also, you can't say that the 6700k runs hotter than the 6600k because that is more or less circumstantial and depends on a lot of factors.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Neither of those things really have an impact on power efficiency. If a CPU with a given architecture (e.g. Skylake i5) is running at a given frequency, it will draw roughly the same amount of power regardless of what the boost/base clocks are (although there will be some variation just due to random variations in fabrication). So an i5-6500 at 3.6 GHz should use about the same power as an i5-6600k at 3.6 GHz.

Having a higher base clock has nothing to do with efficiency.

Nope, not true.

Yes, a 6600k and a 6700k should be able to overclock to roughly the same frequency on average, with the i5 maybe pulling ahead because it has a little bit less resources (i.e. hyperthreading) generating heat. And yes, the reason the i7 costs more is essentially its hyperthreading.

Basically, it sounds like someone's been telling you a lot wrong information, and I think you're looking at the wrong things when trying to decide on your CPU.

What will you be using it for? Unless you're using applications that can take advantage of more than 4 threads, there won't be much advantage to getting an i7 over an i5.

Do you want to overclock? Because that's what -k CPUs are for, and if you're not overclocking I probably wouldn't bother getting a -k CPU.

hshark93

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
If you are just gaming I would go for the I5-6600K and with the spare $100 buy a good cooler and get an overclock on it to get some more performance out of it. However, if you plan to be editing videos/photos and over more CPU intensive tasks I would go for the 6700K as with the 4 extra cores (which are HT) this would help out a lot, plus you can still game on it very well.

apisorder

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I had used an i5-4590 earlier, and although I only do mild gaming and light Photoshop work, the system can be sluggish even not doing either.

Speaking of which, would upgrading to GTX1070 offer much performance over GTX1060? I believe GTX1070 is about USD150 more but unsure if the performance boost is well worthy it.

Thanks.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

A 4590 is no slouch, it should perform pretty well for gaming and be more than enough for casual use (don't have experience with Photoshop, can't comment on how it'd perform there). If your system was performing poorly, it probably wasn't because of your CPU.

There are plenty of reviews/benchmarks out there to compare performance between the two. Techpowerup's reviews include graphs comparing average relative performance of cards, as well as average performance per dollar.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/26.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal,4679-3.html

Solution