A4-5000 Shows up as single core

skyline4727

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
I'm working on a computer for a friend. It's an all in one with an AMD A4-5000 APU and Windows 10 is seeing it as a single core processor. I did a clean install and it's still the same. I even checked with CPU-Z and that shows one logical core as well. I went into MS config to see if it was limited to only one core but it was set to 0 which means it will use all available cores. Even if I try to change it, I only see 0 and 1 as the two options. I checked the BIOS but I didn't see anything that would affect the number of cores. The BIOS only sees it as a single core as well. Is it possible for three of the cores to fail and have Windows running on just 1?

Solution
Yeah that would be much better than messing with this PC. i3 6100 + SSD would be a huge performance improvement over this PC.
Open resource monitor and can you see any cores parked?

skyline4727

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013

darthvader30

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
Can you upload a screenshot of CPU-Z and also of task manager. It's not possible for 3 cores to fail and just 1 works fine.
Did you notice this recently after installing windows 10? Which windows were you on before and did it show 4 cores?

skyline4727

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013

It was already Windows 10 when he brought it to me but I think it was 7 before. I noticed on his old Windows 10 so IDK if it was doing the same thing on Win 7.

Pics - http://imgur.com/gallery/hMsyA

darthvader30

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
Right click on Core #0 in CPUZ, does is show 4 cores?
Go to msconfig and just select 1 core and reboot and check in task manager if it shows L2 cache 2MB or less. It's weird since your cache amount is correct but not all cores are not active.
Does the BIOS has any kind of power saving option? If yes, turn it off.

skyline4727

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. It only shows 1 core when I right click in CPU-Z. I checked all the BIOS options, but nothing to change about CPU. All the power saving options are off.

skyline4727

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013

Tried Prime95, still shows one core on there while it's running. Device manager only shows 1. I've uninstalled it and restarted a few time just to be sure but it always comes up as 1.

skyline4727

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013

He doesn't really use it for gaming but it is really slow at everything. The CPU is constantly at 100% usage and the computer stutters when opening task manager or Chrome. It actually takes a while to load a new webpage in Chrome even with fast internet. The whole thing feels really sluggish. That's what made me want to check task manager in the first place and how I found out about the issue.

darthvader30

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
Alright, is your BIOS updated to the latest version? Make aure that it gets updated to the latest version. Also, did you install all the latest chipset drivers? I know it has nothing to with this but still it's worth a shot. If not, download it from AMD's website.

The last option would be to reinstall windows 7 and verify that all cores are online or not.

skyline4727

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013

There haven't been any BIOS updates in a while but this computer is running the most recent. I thought the same thing so I downloaded the AMD APU drivers a few different times but still nothing. I may have to just reinstall Windows 7 and see what's going on. Honestly though, I'm more than tempted just to tell him to get a new computer. This processor has less than Atom level performance. I was going to recommend a Pentium or i3 and swap the HDD for an SSD.