Will my i5 6400 bottleneck a GTX 1070

Griffin1776

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
I have a skylake i5 6400 and i need a gpu i don't have one at the moment, i'm looking at the gtx 1070. I'm just curious how much a i5 6400 will bottlenext a 1070 if at all. from the youtube videod i have watched and the threads i have read it looks like it is a very very small bottleneck if any. i just wanted some input. eventually i will upgrade my cpu.

Solution

With a modern i5 and higher, you can pretty much push any GPU you want. Clockspeed can become a limiting factor in some cases, also how CPU reliant the game is. MMO's for example tend to be more CPU driven than other titles. Also relevant is whether or not you run Vsync or limit framerate in any fashion. If you do then GPU load and therefor CPU load tends to be much lower. Running without vsync one device or the other will become the "bottleneck".
CPUs don't bottleneck GPUs, at least how you're thinking. Your CPU determines your maximum framerates in games, while the GPU determines what graphical settings you can run. CPU and GPU loads are pretty much independent of each other.

An i5 6400 will run most any game smoothly. I don't think you need a better CPU to enjoy modern games.

With a modern i5 and higher, you can pretty much push any GPU you want. Clockspeed can become a limiting factor in some cases, also how CPU reliant the game is. MMO's for example tend to be more CPU driven than other titles. Also relevant is whether or not you run Vsync or limit framerate in any fashion. If you do then GPU load and therefor CPU load tends to be much lower. Running without vsync one device or the other will become the "bottleneck".

Solution