FX 9590 fish tank external reservoir question

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Hello, I'm running a AMD FX 9590 CPU, and as everybody knows TDP on these processors is extremely high. I am running it under a custom order loop which includes dual Bay alpha cool reservoir with Laing D5 pump. I have 140 mm radiator and a 360 mm radiator connected to this Waterloop. The fans that I'm running are three 120mm 3000 RPM nocturas, along with two 140 mm 3000 RPM nocturas.

Now what I would like to do is take out the alpha cool reservoir and run the water lines outside my case to a external fish tank. Now with this said I would like to use the pump I already have. I was thinking of taking the pump and placing it in the bottom of the fish tank. And having two lines exit the fish tank, either through just placed the lines in the tank or drilling holes in the side of the tank and put barb fittings and run those lines to the computer.
Because I know the more water volume you have in the loop and having a longer loop actually allows the water to cool down before it's return.and the more water you have the longer it takes to heat up.
Now my question is how can I get this to work successfully. And no I'm not using fish tank of fish in just primarily using it as a reservoir.

Eventually, the water in the tank will get hot and reach a equilibrium temperature where the surface and the glass side do the cooling.
I would not expect to do all that well.

Now if you can add some fish to increase the turbulence you might go better:)

It's a good idea. Large reservoirs help suppress transient temperature increases, which is the main benefit of liquid water cooling over vapor chamber/heat pipes. Most normal processor usage would not be able to saturate a large enough reservoir with heat. Only extended stress would eventually cause thermal equilibrium. Lack of reservoir is one of the main reasons AIO LCS perform poorly.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
I have a crosshair v formula - z motherboard with ek MOSFET waterblock. I have the 140mm rad between the 9590 and the mosfets. the 9590 is connected to a 360mm rad.The reason I was thinking of a fish tank is because I know they are water tight. but any other ideas are welcome. basically, what I'm going to do is change out the 3/8 water lines and replace them with 1/2in. Will this cool better, having more room to let the water flow.I was also thinking of braking the loop into two different loops.Would this provide better and if not a fish tank what other water tight containers would work best.( and yes I've thought about having the pc water cooling system looped back into a lake. LOL ) I keep the room where this volcano is at, at 68 degrees year round. I would like to see it preform as intended and it's come a long way, but I need to drop the temps 10 degrees and then it will be in operating range for all of my programs.I do a lot of video processing and the cpu when doing theses tasks tends to run between 90-100 %, and if I I'm not watching the temps and adjust the settings as I go she will freeze. because she hits TC at 57C. 10 degrees would even allow the auto turbo function to work as it should as well. need Ideas on how to solve this problem. and no I'm not going to buy a intel computer.

logainofhades

Titan
This seems like an awful lot of work, for little reward, other than looks. The FX 9590 was never a good buy, unfortunately. I really hope Zen comes out strong, as AMD is hyping it up to be. I know you said you don't want to go with an Intel setup, but you would have much less problems, if you did. A 1231v3 Xeon, would be much better, with far less heat, or a 4790k, if you are into overclocking. That would allow to you reuse your ram, at the very least.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Well, I'm already in too deep now.If I knew then what I know now then it would of been different. But now I need to finish this computer one and for all. and I'm going to run this thing until I can't. and a water chiller seems the right choice now.. what I need to know now is which one.

So why are you upgrading your cooling? Your freezing is probably unrelated to cooling. Did AMD overdrive show the thermal margin > 0? If so then the CPU was not getting too hot. You're probably getting freezing just because that's the crap that happens with these chips often, or if you have a poor power supply it might not be able to handle the overclock well enough.

The Crosshair Formula V is a common motherboard I see on this forum with people having FX 9590 freezes. Even the official specs for it state 140W CPUs, though it does have the 990FX chipset. But it's common I tell you, and the only solution usually is to downclock. Getting fish tanks and all that jazz probably won't do diddly squat.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
My specs

Motherboard- crosshair v formula-z
Memory- Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 32GB 1866 MHZ 1.35 volts
Power Supply- Evga 1300 full modular
cpu- amd fx 9590

cooling system
alpha cool dual bay reservoir
Alphacool VPP655 Single Edition Pump
Koolance Radiator, 3x120mm, Copper Vert
Koolance Radiator, 1x140mm, Copper (High Flow)
EK-FB ASUS Crosshair V - Acetal+EN
2X NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
3X NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM

I have four programs that cause the the temps to reach TC. this is why I need to lower the temps. I need 10 degrees lower. that's why I need to know which chiller will work to do the job.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
In my experience with our users here the only ones that have them running somewhat reliably run the cpu at 4.7ghz and with turbo off. Another thing I noticed is you running 32gb of 1866mhz ram, and I recall reading that much memory at 1866 mhz may be too much for the AMD memory controller, you may want to try dropping that to 1600mhz and see how it reacts.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
I haven't overclock it and I do have turbo off as well, I stopped the freezing by connecting the aux power 2 and molex power for the video card. but the problem that exists now is it runs when I run video editing and rendering software, she hit's TC and then freezes due to heat. if I could get it 10 degrees cooler everything would work as intended. I was thinking of a fish tank but after the responses and doing a little research I've come to the conclusion that it even that it will work, it won't work very well.that's why I started looking into water chillers, but there are so many out there I need to know what the best one to get that will do the job. looking to spend as little as possible. but at the same time I need one that would meet the requirements of this cpu.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I just don't see those water chillers being able to take that much heat out of the water to be effective.

What doesn't make sense is with the amount of cooling you have this should work. While the FX-9590 is a mess, you have a very large amount of cooling so the problems you describe point me to an actual defect in either your motherboard or CPU.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
what I think is going on is that the loop is to short or small for the wattage.I have the cpu and north bridge going though this loop which mean dubble the heat. maybe triple the heat considering the 9590. When I first set up this water cooling setup it was only the cpu on it and it never reached TC, but it was freezing. I then bought and connected the mosfet north bridge cooler because at that time the cpu was cool but the north bridge was hitting tc. so I bought the mosfest cooler and it dropped both north bridge to 30's under load but it raised the cpu temps by 10 degrees which only hit's TC when ruining 1 of the 4 video editing and rendering software I use. so a water chiller seems to be a good choice to lower the temps enough to keep it from tc.

Every TEC PC build I have ever seen, and I have seen dozens, has either ended in failure, or a lackluster performance money pit. I've seen them to wonders in industrial settings though. Your original idea of using a huge reservoir is not a bad idea. You could even make it look pretty cool with some artificial fish or something else artistic. I think if you do more than that, then you might as well make the jump to an i7. The six core i7s really aren't too expensive. Some of the Xeons are reasonably priced too.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

So then why don't you go back to an AIO cooler for just the CPU and run your custom setup to cool everything else. Sounds like this should work. I agree that its the problem, between the heat source of a processor and then everything else being driven hard by that processor (and cooled by the same liquid) its too much heat for the system to pull out.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
braking the loops up seems to be the best choice.I think instead of putting a all in one, I'll buy a small reservoir with pump I don't need anything big or massive for the mosfests. and if I need to water cool the video card that second loop would do great.

JohnDR

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
Interesting problem with even more interesting responses. I guess you could have an actual tank with fish in it but sooner or later the fish waste would clog the water lines. I like the idea of a peltier cooler but for the size tank you want it might be the wrong idea. Two more possible solutions would be a specialized fluid that will dissipate heat more quickly or a tank with extra heatsinks attached externally to drop the heat lower so you have a lower temp liquid hitting the CPU heatsink. Other than that, it would be nice to have heatsinks on all the water lines but no ones invented anything like that, so for now your stuck with the first two ideas... Would it be possible to use the heatsink from a refrigerator to cool a tank size reservior.....????

Also, I noticed you mentioned Noctua fans which are great cause they are quiet. I think you might benefit with fans that have more torque or static pressure on the radiators to cool them down if you don't decide to go with a larger reservior. Corsair makes a few for their H 105 cooler that have a high static pressure since the H 105 radiator is thicker than other radiators. More airflow through the radiators should allow for cooler temps on fluid coming out the radiator to the CPU. In fact it would be nice to have a radiator between each component you plan on cooling in your PC instead of one or two radiators on a line at the end and beginning of the fluid cycle.

This youtube video was helpful in understanding improvements to radiator cooling. Have you tried push&pull configuration on the radiator(s)?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0jrpSlYFJPA

@JohnDR. Rare enthusiasts (and some industries) use refrigerated lines, and they cool very well. The problem with those, and also TECs, and any sub-ambient cooling is condensation. This is why most enthusiasts just stick to air cooled radiators with good old heat pipes or water lines. Also, there is no better coolant than pure water due to its outstanding heat exchange properties, whether it is only in liquid phase as in water cooling, or evaporation and condensation in a heat pipe. Some chemicals are needed to prevent biology and corrosion, but the more chemical is added, the more it takes away from efficient heat transfer.

Sounds like a fun discussion to get in on here.

To add to what Rogue Leader pointed out, I will whole heartedly agree that the memory controller in the FX chips would seem to be a bit of a stinker. One of my rigs is running a FX 8370 with an 1866 rated Corsair 32 GB kit, and the best it can run reliably at without eventual errors is about 1333. 1600 can boot, but is sketchy at best. Tried every voltage and timing combination under the sun to no avail. Guess what? If Windows does boot (at 1600), it gets frequent lockups.

At one point, before I dropped the FX 8370 in, the system was running an FX 8150. Not a huge difference in TDP, but connected to it was a water cooling system consisting of a 5 gallon bucket, a full sized car radiator, and no fans to cool it. The only water block was on the CPU. The ambient of the unheated room it was in at the time was easily in the neighborhood of 10°C, and under load, the CPU temps got to about 29°C under stress testing with Prime (no overclock). However, as there was no fan on the radiator, just as everybody posting above predicted, in a matter of about 2 days the temps were up about 20°C higher, peaking in the 50°C's. So, to add practical experience to their statements, yes, without a means of aiding the transfer of heat from your water to the air, you will saturate your water with heat from the CPU alone, and the time it takes is obviously determined by the capacity of water in the system.

Something else to keep in mind, which may not be a concern is, you will get a much higher degree of water loss from an open system such as a fish tank, and depending on what you have in your air, may have difficulty keeping growth down. If you end up with growth, you might find yourself cleaning the water blocks often enough to question the setup. You'll know the blocks are clogged from the bad temps.