i3 6100 and RX 460 PC vs FX 8300 R7 360 PC

Domagoj720

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Hello.
So I'm building a budget configuration and I asked one guy to match the components.
He said he would go with this configuration :
CPU : Amd FX X8 8300
GPU : Amd R7 360 2GB
RAM : G skill Sniper Series DDR3 1866 MHz 2 × 8 Kit
MBO : GIGABYTE GA-960A-DS3P DDR3 AM3/AM3+
PSU : Chieftec 700W SmartSeries GPS-700A8
Storage : Samsung 750 Evo 250 GB SSD

I think this configuration would be much better configuration for the money :
CPU : Intel i3 6100
GPU : Sapphire RX 460 2GB
RAM : Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 2133 MHz 1 × 8GB
MBO : MSI B150M Bazooka PLUS DDR4
PSU : XFX Core Edition 550W
Storage : Toshiba 1TB DT01ACA100

Can You give Your thoughts on both PC's
Thank You!

Solution
Your configuration is worlds better than his.

His processor and GPU are older and slower, his PSU is garbage. He does have more memory (who cares) and an SSD (easy to add). His computer is a waste of money you're gonna want to rebuild completely in 2 years. Yours you can drop in a faster processor or more memory in a couple years and be ahead of the game.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Your configuration is worlds better than his.

His processor and GPU are older and slower, his PSU is garbage. He does have more memory (who cares) and an SSD (easy to add). His computer is a waste of money you're gonna want to rebuild completely in 2 years. Yours you can drop in a faster processor or more memory in a couple years and be ahead of the game.

Solution

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
2nd configuration better. In future you can add i5, or i7, gtx 1060, 1070, or rx 470 and etc. I add few dollars for 2 x 8 memory kit, and 600 - 800 W PSU, maybe Z170 board if you gonna OC in future. AMD is old, power hungry, and weaker... Waste of money...

1. I3-6100 is a better gamer than FX-83xx
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10543/the-skylake-core-i3-51w-cpu-review-i3-6320-6300-6100-tested

2. RX460 is 4 tiers better for gaming.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

3. Chieftec is a cheap psu, dangerous if it fails under load.
XFX is much better.

Now, on your build, I would make a couple of suggestions:

I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games. If you can go 240gb, or 500gb you may never need a hard drive.

I would defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.
It is easy to add a hard drive later.
Samsung EVO is a good choice.

And... wd is a more reliable hard drive anyway.

second, always buy a 2 stick ram kit so you can run in dual channel mode.
2 x 4gb is fine unless you will be heavily multitasking.
In that case, buy 2 x 8gb up front. Adding ram sticks does not always work.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

For a limited budget PC I would not forego a hard drive for a small SSD. He won't have very much room for games which it seems he is looking to play. Battlefield 4 is 32gb alone, on a 120gb SSD thats just too much.

I agree on the memory.

Domagoj720

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Thank You guys, I thought my config. was better but he said chieftec is best buy. I don't want to gamble on power supply. Thanks for the ram advice I'll be adding 2 × 4GB then.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Cheiftec is garbage. The XFX you selected is far better.

Don't take any advice from this guy he has no clue what he is talking about.

The Toshiba costs $50.
It has some 40% negative reviews on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149382
I would not buy that particular 1tb drive.
a 1tb WD black is $75.

For the same price, you can buy a Samsung evo 750 240gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ZK-00AB-001B4

Find a way.
A cheap case is ok, what case do you have?

Or, a H110 motherboard will work just as well, and they start at $50.

Domagoj720

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Well, I'll look for that WD Black, and maybe ssd right now, I'll see. I already have Zalman Z3 Plus White, and the main reason why I don't want H110m mobo is because it has only 2 ram slots.

Cole_9

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
So first question, exactly what kind of games are you going to be playing on this PC? Are you a light Gamer who only plays a couple of casual games? Or are you a hard-core gamer that gets all the latest and greatest titles as soon as they are released? If you were to ask me, I would mix and match the specs of both builds a little bit. I usually prefer AMD builds to Intel's specifically because of price to performance. I personally would go for the 8300 FX series and pair that with the RX 460. As for the power supply, get anything other than a ch as for the power supply, get anything other than chieftek. get the Samsung SSD for your operating system and other small files, and then pair that with your Toshiba hard drive and use that for your games and other large files like high definition movies. This way, I think you kind of get the best of both worlds. This is just my suggestion.

g-unit1111

Titan

Why? Everyone in this thread has said that the i3-6100 is a better purchase. The AMD FX platform is nearly 5 years old now, and that's ancient given how fast technology moves these days. AMD has a brand new platform with a brand new socket coming later this year, and whether it is a viable competitor to Intel LGA 1151 remains to be seen. If you have an existing AMD CPU there's no reason to change it. If you're buying new there really should be no reason to even consider an AMD FX system just based on the age of the CPUs alone.

Cole_9

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Age DOES NOT matter. Even if they are building a new FX with a new AM4 socket. Price to performance however does matter. Benchmarking my 2011 FX 8350 I consistently got scores most of the time equal to and sometimes even higher than a skylake core i7. Now I know the FX 8350 is an octocore processor compared to the core i7 for most models being a quad core processor, but core count doesn't always matter to me. what does it matter to me is getting rock solid performance without breaking the bank. Please respect that this is just my Oppinion and you don't have to agree with it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Your benchmarks must be flawed. Unless you are bench-marking zipping and unzipping files with 7Zip the i7-6700k demolishes the 8350 in every benchmark. There are a few core intensive apps that it can somewhat keep up, but you are completely incorrect in saying the 8350 has nearly the performance of the 6700k.

Heck the i3-6100 outperforms the 8350 in every gaming benchmark and any software based on single core performance. Only in software that can utilize all 8 cores does the 8350 compete.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-FX-8350/3502vs1489

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes that is your opinion, but there is also these things called facts and benchmarks. Which will go against your opinion. When we're talking CPUs, age absolutely does matter. Especially now that VR is a thing and 4K is a thing, and both of these things have ridiculously insane requirements in order to run. If you're paying any sort of money for high end hardware, the last thing you want is to be stuck with a CPU that a) has no upgrade path other than the FX-9590 which is pretty much considered a joke among serious CPU enthusiasts, and b) is already obsolete out of the box. Sure there may be some benchmarks that will show the FX coming out ahead, but as Rogue Leader pointed out that there really isn't much advantage going to AMD FX instead of going with the latest Intel i5 / i7 platform which will demolish the highest end AMD platforms without draining energy and requiring a crazy cooling solution - something the higher end AMD platforms are known for.