90 - 100% cpu usage

Salochon

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
My cpu (i5 4690k) will go from ~10% on the desktop with Firefox and teamspeak open to 90% and above once i start a game like battlefield 1 my disk also goes up to 80 - 90% and my memory gets high as well, which is normal (i think). in game i get frequent frame drops and the game is just choppy overall, my specs are an i5 4690k an evga gtx 970, a msi z97s krait edition mobo and a h90 cpu cooler. My temps average around 35 - 40c when i am playing and 25c while idle. I have had the cpu overclocked but changed it back to stock clock because i thought i was having high usage due to a bad oc but the problem didn't change. When i had overclock i made a mistake where i had changed the cpu wattage to what the oc would have been because the bios wasn't very clear (to me) and it was my first time overclocking, i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
don´t update in windows!
uninstall the msi live update tool, it´s not a good one

use the Intel update utility

run 3dmark basic edition (timespy) and post the link which comes up in your browser at the end

just download the latest bios:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97S-SLI-Krait-Edition.html#down-bios

extract the zip to the root of an USB flash drive (fat32 or ntfs formatted) reboot your PC, enter BIOS by pressing the key "DEL" and click on "M-flash" follow instructions

if fast boot is enabled, use the “GO2BIOS" button on the motherboard or use the "MSI fast boot" utility to reboot directly into BIOS from windows

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I presume you're using windows 10.

Battlefield 1 BETA.
BETA.

It does the exact same thing for me on my second pc with the same CPU, (i5 4690K 4.4Ghz - AMD R9 Fury X)
Game is choppy and laggy, high CPU usage.

I would first check using an app like CoreTemp of CPUz at what clock speed your CPU is running at when you're playing, it might be doing power saving or something, this could be possible because you seem unsure about what settings you've changed regarding to wattage(?)

I've had an issue where I altered intel turbo boost short / long power max and my CPU went horribly slow.

Also realized that my game was on a normal hard drive, moved it to the SSD and it works perfectly now.
Perhaps move the game files to an SSD if you have one?

Salochon

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

I guess battlefield was a bad example. the same thing happens with overwatch and dota. my bios is not up to date mainly because i dont know how to doing it, my pc has msi live update and it asks if i want to run it in windows mode or in dos mode and i looked it up and there were threads that were saying windows mode is buggy or something, my video drivers however are up to date.

don´t update in windows!
uninstall the msi live update tool, it´s not a good one

use the Intel update utility

run 3dmark basic edition (timespy) and post the link which comes up in your browser at the end

just download the latest bios:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97S-SLI-Krait-Edition.html#down-bios

extract the zip to the root of an USB flash drive (fat32 or ntfs formatted) reboot your PC, enter BIOS by pressing the key "DEL" and click on "M-flash" follow instructions

if fast boot is enabled, use the “GO2BIOS" button on the motherboard or use the "MSI fast boot" utility to reboot directly into BIOS from windows

Solution