i7-6700 max temperature before throtting?

jbgarcia

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
I've asked a few questions recently about laptops, but I just want to make sure I get everything right. Anyway, that is my question in the title. I read the specs on the Intel page and it says it has a Case Temperature of 70 C. This is the exact description for what that means:

Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).

Is that different from overall temp? For example, the 6700HQ (mobile version) has a max temp of 100 C. Using the regular 6700 on a laptop means that expecting to not go over 70 C is almost impossible, unless there is something else going on that keeps the CPU from getting that hot.

By the way, under "Included Items" it says:

Thermal Solution - E97379

Is that what keeps the CPU under 70 C? Would this also be included in a 6700 crammed into a laptop?

By the way, I'm pairing the 6700 with a GTX 1070. Included in the laptop is IC Diamond Thermal paste. The laptop is a desktop replacement Sager, which from personal experience has good cooling.

jbgarcia

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Also, I could go with a 6700 HQ to be safe, but I'm worried that the lower 3.1 GHz 4 core clocks will hold the 1070 back, but honestly I don't know how much more the 6700's 3.7 GHz 4 core clocks will improve framerates.