FX 8320 and AsRock 970 Extreme4 issues.

Catalin_8

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
I tried to figure out why i have some issues with my FX8320 and AsRock Extreme 4 combination, and around here i saw some people dont have issues, and others do, so this confused me. I get some random drops in FPS, but i dont really know what to do. If this 4+1 power phase is really the issue, a 8+2 mainboard would solve the issue? If so, which mainboard do you guys recommend? Thanks.

Solution
Monitor your CPU clockspeed while gaming, if your CPU is dropping to 1.4GHz when the framerate drops occur, then VRM throttling is a likely issue. The problem with the ASRock Extreme 4 is it is only borderline capable of running the FX 8320 without throttling. If you are running the chip under ideal conditions eg. low room temperature, top down blower CPU cooler, good case airflow, then you might not encounter throttling. If you have less than ideal conditions, eg. high room temperature, poor case airflow, or a liquid cooler or tower cooler that doesn't blow air down onto the VRMs, then you can run into throttling problems.
Monitor your CPU clockspeed while gaming, if your CPU is dropping to 1.4GHz when the framerate drops occur, then VRM throttling is a likely issue. The problem with the ASRock Extreme 4 is it is only borderline capable of running the FX 8320 without throttling. If you are running the chip under ideal conditions eg. low room temperature, top down blower CPU cooler, good case airflow, then you might not encounter throttling. If you have less than ideal conditions, eg. high room temperature, poor case airflow, or a liquid cooler or tower cooler that doesn't blow air down onto the VRMs, then you can run into throttling problems.

Solution