i5 760 high idle and load temperatues

blackburden

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
hi there!
first time using this site, if for any reason I'm not clear or not using this all properly let me know!

situation:
I have a i5 760, and my custom baby (PC) has been running well for years now
quite recently, I installed coretemp to get my rainmeter apps up and running, but that's when I realized my CPU has been on the high levels when it comes to temperature ( ive tested it all long before, and everything seemed fine)

during idle its about 45 degrees celcius right now.
but as soon as I play battlefield 1 beta, it jumps to the 80s, and maxes at 93!

worried, I opened up my PC ( something I hate doing, long story)
and cleaned off the thermal paste, put in some new ones, not a lot of course, like a pea size.
started it up again, and it does the same thing :/
when I play overwatch, it caps in the 70's
I did also clean out all the dust inside

so? is the game, that uses 100% of my CPU that makes its temperature go to high levels, thus being normal for my pc using stock cooling
or is it possibly something else

I'm aware my 1st gen CPU traditionally has high temperatures, but I just need to know is this a larger issue or not

P.S I live in South Africa, relatively cool weather temperatures, and I really don't want to purchase a cooler ( monetary reasons :D )

UPDATE: tried playing overwatch, and one of my cores hit 99 degrees :/ surprised it didn't switch off my pc

blackburden

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
that is actually a very decent ( and decently priced) cooler! thanks for the heads up
I applied a bit more thermal paste, helped quite a bit, ill keep closely monitoring and also try get that cooler!
thanks man!

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

You don't need to slather on the thermal paste, you only need the thinnest layer you can possibly apply to the cooler.
Intel stock heatsinks aren't high pressure so that doesn't really work. :(

The temperature difference between stock cooler and the one I linked for my friend with the same CPU, was 50-ish Idle and 80+ load.
It's now gone down to 30-ish at idle and 50 at load.

Don't forget that thermal compound makes a difference too.

I bought some arctic MX4 compound from wootware but they don't have it anymore it seems. :(
But good news, this stuff is better: http://www.wootware.co.za/phanteks-ph-ndc-02-thermal-compound.html

If you haven't used wootware yet I can highly recommend them, their support is fantastic and delivery costs country-wide aren't bad at all.