R9 390 low fps in bf1, clock speed peaking at 750 Mhz

Cubicon

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
In most games my MSI R9 390 only ever uses 750 Mhz clock speed, which has resulted in framerates dropping as low as the 30s. Does anybody have an idea why this is happening?

Specs:
MSI R9 390
AMD FX 6300 @3.7 Ghz
8 GB GDDR3 RAM
750 Watt PSU

Solution
Don't mess with afterburner powerplay etc. Use the power efficiency toggle in crimson and make sure its off.

Clocks stuck at 750 imply maybe a driver conflict so id uninstall and wipe drivers and reinstall. Make sure ou don't have Amy gpu apps (msi gaming for eg) and afterburner installed at same time.

At normal 1080p I see around 85fps on ultra with my oc'd 390. Your CPU is going to hold u back a bit since the beta is so CPU heavy.

EMT760

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
I had the opposite with a XFX R390 that I upgraded to a 390x. With my old 390, I would get like 90-120 fps on High then Ultra was like 80-100. Not sure what your settings are in game? But theres a tab to decrease viewing distance? or GPU processing. I forget exactly what its called. Try that.

I5-6500
8gigs of DDR4
850w PSU.

DustyDanglerX

Distinguished

Disable power saving on crimson, download afterburner if you don't have it already and check disable ulps and unofficial overclocking mode to without power play support it will cap your core clock to max clock.This will solve your downclocking. Also overclock your processor to at least 4.2 so you can feed that 390 a bit more as long as you have adequate cooling so you don't get frame drops.

Don't mess with afterburner powerplay etc. Use the power efficiency toggle in crimson and make sure its off.

Clocks stuck at 750 imply maybe a driver conflict so id uninstall and wipe drivers and reinstall. Make sure ou don't have Amy gpu apps (msi gaming for eg) and afterburner installed at same time.

At normal 1080p I see around 85fps on ultra with my oc'd 390. Your CPU is going to hold u back a bit since the beta is so CPU heavy.

Solution