i5 4460 CPU speed stuck at 800 MHz

Randhawa Verma

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
Problem - My system's CPU speed stuck at 800 MHz though it is a 3.2 GHz processor.

Due to this, all my gaming performance is going down. I was playing high end games smoothly but I don't know the reason, on last Friday, while playing Counter Strike GO system's fps went from 300 to 20-30 fps. Same starts happening in all games. Also, I do feel system is also getting laggy. After a week research, I narrowed down the problem to CPU.

Things I did to check -
1. Used cpuz, speed stuck at 800MHz, Realtemp - temperature of CPU is b/w 35-45 C
2. My PSU is 600W and working perfect
3. Motherboard looks good to me, there is no bent pin etc.
4. Through BIOS, I disabled ESIT, C States, Intel Thermal Monitor

Today, I found that there is something BD PROCHOT. To solve this, I download ThrottleStop and unchecked the BD prochot. Suprisingly, CPU speed came back to 3400 MHz and everything starts running like new. But this is a temporary issue.

Can you guys suggest me a better solution or any other way?

Solution
Hello Randhawa and friends,

I bought a second-hand PC three days ago to a gipsy at a very low prize, but was fooled because it is an i5-4590T and always ran at 800 MHz. The problem is, as you guess, the PROCHOT signal. It's a motherboard problem (hardware) that can be "solved" by software (ThrottleStop, clearing the prochot bit) but as you mention it's a temporary solution because all the time until clearing that bit the machine goes at the lowest frequency clock.

My option has been to break physically this bidirectional signal. And although the problem is at the motherboard (and I don't mind which sensor is activating it), I've preferred to put a little piece of kapton tape just above the PROCHOT pad of the processor to isolate it...

danivalencia78

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Hello Randhawa and friends,

I bought a second-hand PC three days ago to a gipsy at a very low prize, but was fooled because it is an i5-4590T and always ran at 800 MHz. The problem is, as you guess, the PROCHOT signal. It's a motherboard problem (hardware) that can be "solved" by software (ThrottleStop, clearing the prochot bit) but as you mention it's a temporary solution because all the time until clearing that bit the machine goes at the lowest frequency clock.

My option has been to break physically this bidirectional signal. And although the problem is at the motherboard (and I don't mind which sensor is activating it), I've preferred to put a little piece of kapton tape just above the PROCHOT pad of the processor to isolate it from the socket contact. I recommend you to use kapton tape because it supports high temperatures. Reading some documentation about 4th generation Intel core i5 desktop processors, the PROCHOT# pad is ball nr. K38.

Here you have some literature (pages 92, 100, 112 and 116):
Desktop 4th generation Intel Core Processor Family

I hope you will success!!

Solution

himsenior

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018

You helped me. Thank you. I went from this to this