New 1866 MHz Ram, Old Motherboard, computer not starting (3 beeps)

Johan_11

Reputable
Sep 10, 2016
I am currently in the process of upgrading my PC. I have recently bought 2 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM modules. I could get both for a very good price (there was a special on), but I checked beforehand to make sure that my old motherboard (Intel DP55WB) is compatible with it.

Here is the compatibility check.
This is the motherboard's documentation.

I understand my current motherboard won't be able to run the RAM at 1866 MHz, but it should still work for 1333 MHz, as that is what the motherboard supports.
I checked my timings and the voltage levels of the RAM in the BIOS. The timings were set to 9-9-9-24, at 1.5V, which should be fine for the 1333 MHz that my motherboard supports.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Johan_11

Reputable
Sep 10, 2016

Does this mean that I probably need to upgrade my motherboard next? Because it is so outdated?

You might still find old kits on ebay or local pc shops, if memory amount became a drawback. Or look, as Tradesman suggested, for those GSkill RAMs.
I was pretty sure that Crucial's kits do work when compatibility checked on their site. But it seems they don't, so... I can't recommend any memory model. It all depends on the date they were manufactured.

Johan_11

Reputable
Sep 10, 2016

I think I will just get a new Mobo at the end of this month, as I am anyway busy upgrading my system slowly but surely. It needs to be done some time or another. No point in buying old RAM if I already have new ones.

Thank you and Tradesman for the answers.

magicnutt

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
You wont believe it but I had a problem so simular to yours that I simply cannot answer you.. I BOUGHT THE EXACT SAME KIT OF RAM that you have bought on my 2600k setup on a gigabyte ud3h b3...The memory works fine but when I tried to enable XMP and set it to its rated 1866mhz the system didnt boot and indicated "the system failed to boot due to overclocking"....Can someone please help me with the settings on this ram ... I just want to point out that the kit works absolutely issueless so far on the 1333 mhz that my bios has set it to. I just want to confirm... you have THIS kit right ? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148740&cm_re=crucial_ddr3_1866-_-20-148-740-_-Product

magicnutt

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
I have a z68 board , the processor is on stock speed for the moment , the bios i recently updated to F12 , which is the latest non uefi bios . Theres a uefi bios available but I read bad things about it and want to preferably keep to this version

magicnutt

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
The first time I enabled xmp it offered me to optimize cpu clocks or something like that(I clicked no)...I tried it once more and it didn't offer it...Can you go about more detail as to how the cpu should be overclocked ?

TRENDING THREADS